Jump to content
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 6617 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Recommended Posts

Posted

Michael Phelps is a machine. I'm not really into swimming, and so far the only events I've watched have been the swimming. Okay I've watched some women's volleyball too. :D I'm doing my normal house work and stuff, but when they announce Phelps is coming up I stop and pay attention. My god, what an athlete. And he seems to have a good personality and head on his shoulders too. When he wins, no exuberant celebration, he hardly cracks a smile. I've been really impressed.

  • Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted

I agree. It is like when Barry Sanders played football. When he scored he ran the ball to the referee and then to the sideline, at most giving high fives. I appreciate athletes like this, they act like they have been there and done that.

I have read that Phelps eats 12,000 calories a day to support his 5-6 hours of swimming (training). That is a weeks (almost) worth of calories for normal people. Crazy.

Oh yeah, I have watched some of the women's volleyball...purely for the competition, of course.

Posted

Volleyball...good

Beach Volleyball...better

women's beach volleyball...best...

Most competitive sport around...:D

Posted

Phelps is a machine. You probably couldn’t design a better swimmer’s body, attitude and work ethic. Don’t forget, though, that three of his Gold’s are in relay events. Swimming is a sport of you vs yourself and the clock, except in the relays. Several other guys will be a footnote in the history of these games but were none the less critical to his success.

Side note: Being an umpire whose kid swam competitively, I’ve thought about learning to officiate swimming. Any of you guys try that? The stroke-and-turn judges seem to have the hardest task, trying to line up to see across half the pool, with the refraction of the water to boot. It seems to be just like umpiring – it’s all about the angles.


×
×
  • Create New...