Jump to content
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 6213 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Recommended Posts

Posted

There are a number of good games this week. It was hard to give the game of the week title to anybody.

Game of the Week & Upset Special

UNC @ GT

Why is this the game of the week? First who ever loses can almost kiss the ACC – Costal division title goodbye, especially GT with one conference loss already. Second, it seems awkward to say but these teams are also evenly matched offensively. UNC averages 359 offensive yds/game and GT averages 381 offensive yds/game. The difference is how they get them GT is a rushing machine with the triple option. They are ranked #16 in rushing at 242 yds/game. UNC has an air attack averaging 210 passing yards per game. Now switch to the defensive side of the ball it is a different story. UNC has the # 6 best defense and are ranked #7 against the rush allowing only 52 yds/game. Can they keep this up against GT? No, GT will easily break 100 yds rushing, but will be held way short of their 242 yds/game average. GT’s pass defense allows over 240 yards per game and this will be GT’s shortcoming against UNCs #15 ranked pass attack. GT’s 12th man at Bobby Dodd Stadium will be a daunting task to overcome, just ask Clemson. All the “experts” I’ve seen pick GT to win. I say UNC’s Defense holds GT in check and lets UNC’s offense get the job done.

UNC wins in an awesome game.

Game of the week #2

Miami @ VT

Just as in the UNC @ GT game, who ever loses this game can practically kiss the ACC – Coastal title goodbye. The division is so strong this year we probably won’t have a winner determined until late in the year. Both teams are going to be fired up so expect a good one. The difference in this game is going to be offense. They both have strong defenses, so whoever moves the ball better wins. Unfortunately for VT their offense still has yet to produce. The Hokies have put together a total of 1038 offensive yards in 3 games. Miami has put up 930 yards in just 2 games. And don’t forget 60% (605) of those offensive yards came against Marshall. So they only have just over 400 total yards against ranked teams. All 930 of Miami’s yards come against ranked teams. Virginia Tech’s only advantage is that they’re playing in Lane Stadium which will be rocking.

Great game but Miami continues to roll and beats VT.

Obligatory ECU pick

ECU Hosts University of Central Florida

These teams on paper look very similar offensively. The difference is the quality of opponents they’ve faced. ECU has had West Virginia and UNC and UCF has played Stamford, Southern Miss & Buffalo. So when you weigh out the offense each team has produced against the quality of teams they have faced ECU pulls far ahead. This begins the lull of ECU’s season where they have 5 games against mediocre teams and can get geared up for their next big game against VT November 5th. The problem is last year ECU had a habit of losing the games which shouldn’t have been that tough while winning the ones they weren’t expected to.

ECU wins easily at home.

Upset Special #2

TCU @ Clemson

I hardly call it an upset but since TCU is the #15th ranked undefeated team, by definition it will be, but that’s about it. Looking at it on paper TCU’s offense has the advantage in every category, but who have they played? Texas State & UVA hardly the resume to be ranked at all. The Horned Frogs come to Death Valley Where they for the first time they will get a taste of a real defense in Clemson, add to that the Tigers offensive punch with Spiller. Hopefully Spiller is fully recovered from his injuries and will have a break out game and build his momentum as Clemson goes back into conference play. After this game TCU should fall from the national rankings not to bee seen again this year and Clemson may get ranked again, but don’t bet on anything higher than 20.

Clemson has a field day with TCU and wins easily.

Upset Special #3

Texas Tech @ Houston

This is a very tough one to call. Houston legitimately beat Oklahoma State on the road, not an easy task. Texas Tech surprised a lot of people last week giving Texas a scare. Both have great offenses and can pass at will. Once again defense wins the game. Texas tech has an all around stronger defense which will be the difference. This will be a high scoring shootout, but the winner will be Texas Tech.

California @ Oregon

Okay, I’ll pick one for my west coast friends. This game for some reason has generated a lot of hype. I’m not certain if there is a rivalry between the two schools, but none that I’m aware of. Possibly because both teams are coming off of big victories last week. For all the hype this game has generated, I can’t see where this will be that big of a game. California is superior on both sides of the ball. So someone tell me why the hype.

California has a field day for an easy win.

  • Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted

Okay it took me a long time to respond to this. I needed to make sure my crow was up to temperature before eating it. I don't want salmonella.

Where to start.

My Pirates didn't let me down! so I went 1-5 this week.

UNC - I think they got lost on the way to Atlanta Just a hint follow the signs on 85 S that say to Atlanta You'll be there in about 6 hours. This is the game I was most disappointed with UNC never made a game out of it.

VT - My apologies to Hokie Nation Defense wins and so does Beamer Ball. With no disrespect intended, but while VT's offense looked better it had very good field position for 3/5 of thanks to their defense. Taylor and Williams had great rushing games, but the Hokie offense needs to show mw more. But they have put themselves in the drivers seat for the ACC Coastal division with all of their major competitors having a Conference loss. They still have some tough games ahead with ECU, NCSU, UNC & GT.

TCU. I didn't see this game or any highlights, but it looks like it was a huge defensive battle. Clemson came out early then TCU adjusted. Much respect to TCU, they earned it.

Houston. I honestly thought this might be the closest of the games I picked and I was right. With the remainder of their schedule looking like a cake walk, until that is they meet ECU in the C-USA title game. Houston is in the drivers seat to get an at large BCS bowl as they have the potential to go undefeated.

Oregon. WOW. Okay there was a lot of hype for a reason. I will still contend that overall PAC 10 teams are over-rated.

Other Week 4 notes

Tebow gets a concussion. This is horrible news for Florida. But the good news is they have an off week before going to LSU for what will be one great game. A Florida team with Tebow is in a good position, without Tebow there is huge cause for concern.

South Carolina beats Mississippi. Who would have seen this coming? At this point I think Mississippi was over rated given who they had played. The question is how good is SC.

FSU loses to South Florida? Really ? This further proves BYU wasn't for real.

Ap top 25

Well it sucks right now.

Here's Warren's top 20

  1. Florida
    • Wire to wire #1 unless this injury is more serious for Tebow

    [*]Texas

    • Looks better than last year but has yet to get to the heart of their season

    [*]Alabama

    • Exceeding my expectations, but the toughest opponents are yet to come

    [*]Houston

    • They were screwed in the rankings this week and have beaten 2 tough opponents in a row. Arguably a tougher schedule than Texas to this point. Over-rated for the short term? Probably, but being undefeated and winning 2 big games counts.

    [*]VT

    • I'm ranking them higher. They just seem to win when it counts, and their only loss is to 'Bama

    [*]OSU

    • I'm a bit hesitant of ranking them this high, but they've already played a respectable schedule.

    [*]LSU

    • They haven't played anybody yet, so even while being undefeated I find it hard to put them as high as the AP

    [*]Iowa

    • Good start, but can they keep it up?

    [*]Ohio

    • Might they be returning to glory. We won't be able to tell for another month.

    [*]TCU

    • They really impressed me with their defense

    [*]Oklahoma

    • Losing to BYU was a fluke but still a loss. I can't see ranking them higher until Bradford comes back, but Jones is looking good.

    [*]Georgia

    • Georgia has probably had the toughest schedule to date and only 1 loss very impressive.

    [*]USC

    • I'll assume Washington was a fluke, but I'm still not impressed.

    [*]Georgia Tech

    • They're playing great with a tough schedule

    [*]Michigan

    • Yes, they're undefeated, but given their schedule I can't go any higher.

    [*]Cinci

    • Same as above undefeated, but weak schedule. 16 is a gift.

    [*]Penn St

    • Even with 1 tough loss I think I'm being generous.

    [*]Auburn

    • Yes I said Auburn, a team which isn't in the AP poll. They're undefeated and have beat some tougher teams than other undefeated teams.

    [*]Kansas

    • Undefeated, but weak schedule so far.

    [*]Boise

    • Same as Kansas, the difference is Boosie has probably the weakest schedule of all BCS eligible teams.


×
×
  • Create New...