Jump to content
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 5577 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Recommended Posts

Posted

So I think I know that the FED rules specifically say that a runner may NOT overrun 1st on a walk (going ot get the fed book out of the car now to re-confirm that)..is the same tru in little league? i cant find a rule that says so. lots of cathers throw down to 1st and so far all of the runners have stopped...

never mind - found it in the casebook..they can overrun 1st on a walk

  • Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted

So I think I know that the FED rules specifically say that a runner may NOT overrun 1st on a walk (going ot get the fed book out of the car now to re-confirm that)..is the same tru in little league? i cant find a rule that says so. lots of cathers throw down to 1st and so far all of the runners have stopped...

never mind - found it in the casebook..they can overrun 1st on a walk

FED is the only rule set that does not allow an overrun on a walk. Everyone else says it's allowed.

Posted

So I think I know that the FED rules specifically say that a runner may NOT overrun 1st on a walk (going ot get the fed book out of the car now to re-confirm that)..is the same tru in little league? i cant find a rule that says so. lots of cathers throw down to 1st and so far all of the runners have stopped...

never mind - found it in the casebook..they can overrun 1st on a walk

Some teams do this in our LL too. They do it for the BR that loves to round first on a walk. It's usually the kids that don't get to first on a hit very often. When I am 1B coach, I always tell them, "On the bag" unless ball 4 gets past F2 and my runner has a chance for 2B. As an umpire, I'm ready to make this call.

Posted

Some teams do this in our LL too. They do it for the BR that loves to round first on a walk. . . . As an umpire, I'm ready to make this call.

If the call you're talking about is an Out when tagged off the bag, remember - you have to have judged that the BR made an attempt at 2B; if he simply rounds & stops, that is not an attempt and he is free to return to 1B w/o fear of being put out.

This is a long way of saying there is no prohibition against an overrunning (or oversliding) BR turning left past 1B.

That being said, I've called a BR out in a similar situation because after he rounded and stopped, he looked at F1, who had the ball back fom F2 by then, and made a 'jab' step move towards 2B prompting F1 to throw to F3 who tagged the BR for the Out. When the OM asked me how I could call him out when he had simply overrun 1B, I told him I judged the jab step to be an attempt at 2B - and it is because it's an attempt to draw a (hopefully errant) throw from F1.

Posted

If the call you're talking about is an Out when tagged off the bag, remember - you have to have judged that the BR made an attempt at 2B; if he simply rounds & stops, that is not an attempt and he is free to return to 1B w/o fear of being put out.

On what planet?

Posted

Rounding by any definition that I kow of means going by the base and toward the next base. This will make you susceptable to be tagged out. Running by first and straight down the line, the direction you turn makes no difference.

Posted

I wouldn't use the term "rounding" to indicate a simple turn to the left after overrunning first. What I am talking about would be considered a move to second by any self-respecting umpire.

Posted

i think by "rounds" he simply means "turns lleft"....i think

This is exactly what I meant. If the semantics bother you, change it in your mind to 'turns left'

But to me, 'rounding' and 'attempting' are two different behaviours.

And to Rich: Earth

Posted

i think by "rounds" he simply means "turns lleft"....i think

This is exactly what I meant. If the semantics bother you, change it in your mind to 'turns left'

But to me, 'rounding' and 'attempting' are two different behaviours.

And to Rich: Earth

Sorry, but in baseball "rounding" means turning the corner and heading toward the next base, then pulling up. It's not semantics, it's communicating properly. To establish a meaning you need to use the language and meanings of the group you are addressing. To repeat a phrase I used elsewhere, saying "integration" to a group of math professors will not have them thinking Brown vs Board of Education.

"Rounding" and "attempting" are not two different behaviors. "Rounding" IS an attempt - the runner started to the next base.

Turning left, as in pivoting left after overrunning down the line is OK, but ONLY if done after an overrun down the line during which NO move toward 2B was made. But if the turn left appears to be a move toward 2B then you are liable to be out out

Posted

I have to agree with Rich. Rounding is a basic baseball term that means to hit the base and move a step or two past the base and closer to the next base. At that point the runner reads the play to decide to continue or return. That is an attempt, it is not an overrun and return directly to the base. If you choose to call it something else, fine, no problem, but when in a baseball environment rounding brings a certain behavior to mind.

Posted

Well, excuuuuse me!

Semantics lesson heard & accepted. Not a distinction that's ever come up before - sorry!

Now Rich - calm down, man! Bad week?

Posted

Did a 50/70 game last night played under high school rules. Runner walks, trots down to 1st, casually over runs the bag as the cather, equally casually, toosses the ball to the 1st baseman...who catches it, barely glances at the runnes who's a few feet past the base, and tosses it back to the pitcher


×
×
  • Create New...