Jump to content
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 5591 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Recommended Posts

Posted

The other day I was behind the plate for a Jr HS game. The game went along very well and without note except for a botched hidden ball play. Offense wanted a balk, defense wanted an out and I still had not put the ball in play.

After the game my partner says to me "did you notice the catcher loading his glove?" I was not familar with the term or the concept and asked him to clarify. He said that before a pitch the catcher would reach down and grab some dirt and put it in the glove o. Now the field was a already a dust bowl but I had not noticed anything too unusual. I was wearing wrap around sunglasses so the dust was not bothering me at all. Has anyone ever heard of this and for what purpose was he doing this? I am asking as I will likely have this same team next year and if he is doing something that needs to be taken care of I will do that. This team is from a community that has a reputation for pushing the boundries more than a bit

  • Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted

The other day I was behind the plate for a Jr HS game. The game went along very well and without note except for a botched hidden ball play. Offense wanted a balk, defense wanted an out and I still had not put the ball in play.

After the game my partner says to me "did you notice the catcher loading his glove?" I was not familar with the term or the concept and asked him to clarify. He said that before a pitch the catcher would reach down and grab some dirt and put it in the glove o. Now the field was a already a dust bowl but I had not noticed anything too unusual. I was wearing wrap around sunglasses so the dust was not bothering me at all. Has anyone ever heard of this and for what purpose was he doing this? I am asking as I will likely have this same team next year and if he is doing something that needs to be taken care of I will do that. This team is from a community that has a reputation for pushing the boundries more than a bit

Ask your buddy why he didn't call it if he saw it and thought it was illegal.

Then go read 3.02

Posted

Ask your buddy why he didn't call it if he saw it and thought it was illegal.

Then go read 3.02

So you would apply 3.02 to a player putting dirt in their glove? I've never applied it that way but I certainly wouldn't mind. I'd love to have a reason to stop this because the dust in my eyes is brutal...

Posted

Maybe trying to scuff it? Seems like a stretch to me but I wouldn't put it past some.

That makes sense but what gets me about that kinda stuff is in most youth games you are using the same 3-5 balls the entire game. So a scuffed ball may help your pitcher but your going to have to hit that same ball at some point.

Posted

Maybe trying to scuff it? Seems like a stretch to me but I wouldn't put it past some.

That makes sense but what gets me about that kinda stuff is in most youth games you are using the same 3-5 balls the entire game. So a scuffed ball may help your pitcher but your going to have to hit that same ball at some point.

Are you suggesting it's OK because the ball's dirty anyhow?

Posted

I thought about the scuffing thing but, that is not logical (as if a 7th grader think things through) as both pitchers used the same balls. Neither F1 was advanced enough to make use of a scuff. I thought that he might have been doing to irritate me but, he seem to be getting more of the dust in his face than I did.

Posted

Maybe trying to scuff it? Seems like a stretch to me but I wouldn't put it past some.

That makes sense but what gets me about that kinda stuff is in most youth games you are using the same 3-5 balls the entire game. So a scuffed ball may help your pitcher but your going to have to hit that same ball at some point.

Are you suggesting it's OK because the ball's dirty anyhow?

No, not at all. It's just seems funny since both pitchers will use the same balls.

Posted

if someone knows what "loading the glove" with dirt means or what it does, please explain it.........

Before the pitcher delivers the ball, the catcher will reach down and grab a handfull of dirt and put it in his/her mitt. Then they'll dump it out. When the pitcher delivers the pitch, a huge cloud of dust comes flying out of the mitt and directly into your eyes.

Posted

if someone knows what "loading the glove" with dirt means or what it does, please explain it.........

Before the pitcher delivers the ball, the catcher will reach down and grab a handfull of dirt and put it in his/her mitt. Then they'll dump it out. When the pitcher delivers the pitch, a huge cloud of dust comes flying out of the mitt and directly into your eyes.

Thanks, ...ok ...

Roger, ... did this 'loading stuff' start AFTER your issue w/ the hidden ball trick?

Posted

if someone knows what "loading the glove" with dirt means or what it does, please explain it.........

Before the pitcher delivers the ball, the catcher will reach down and grab a handfull of dirt and put it in his/her mitt. Then they'll dump it out. When the pitcher delivers the pitch, a huge cloud of dust comes flying out of the mitt and directly into your eyes.

Then you call "ball" and let the catcher know if you can't see the pitch you're going to call it a ball. Betcha he stops.

Posted

if someone knows what "loading the glove" with dirt means or what it does, please explain it.........

Before the pitcher delivers the ball, the catcher will reach down and grab a handfull of dirt and put it in his/her mitt. Then they'll dump it out. When the pitcher delivers the pitch, a huge cloud of dust comes flying out of the mitt and directly into your eyes.

Thanks, ...ok ...

Roger, ... did this 'loading stuff' start AFTER your issue w/ the hidden ball trick?

No. THe HBT was the second to last "play" of the game. A called thrid strike was the last play. The catchers team lost.

The funniest part is that due to the superior protection of my Oakley's and his pitchers inability to hit the strike zone consistantly let alone high and inside with me in the slot, I would dare say that he ate more of that dust than I did. WHEN I see this team next year (and I will) I will watch for this and deal with it then. I wonder if he is playing Summer ball...........:confused:


×
×
  • Create New...