dropped third

paulsimko
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 5447 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

one out runner on 1st...dropped 3rd, coach yells "run to 1st"...kid runs and runner on 1st runs for 2nd...do i have anything on the batter runner? does the answer depend on what the catcher does? does it depend on "intent to deceive?" i'm talking asa softball but i'd love to hear opinions in any rule set...in my game today (u14) the catcher did nothing (kind of double clutched towards 1st and then just held it) and the coach wanted me to call the runner out or at least send her back to 1st...i left her on 2nd...i dont have access to my rulebook so hope someone can provide the answer and rule..thanks

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

one out runner on 1st...dropped 3rd, coach yells "run to 1st"...kid runs and runner on 1st runs for 2nd...do i have anything on the batter runner? does the answer depend on what the catcher does? does it depend on "intent to deceive?" i'm talking asa softball but i'd love to hear opinions in any rule set...in my game today (u14) the catcher did nothing (kind of double clutched towards 1st and then just held it) and the coach wanted me to call the runner out or at least send her back to 1st...i left her on 2nd...i dont have access to my rulebook so hope someone can provide the answer and rule..thanks

Don't know softball rules but in baseball, I have nothing. Batter out on strikes runner stays on second unless retired batter had interfered with something.

one out runner on 1st...dropped 3rd, coach yells "run to 1st"...kid runs and runner on 1st runs for 2nd...do i have anything on the batter runner?

Just forcefully say / call, "The batter's out." Then let the defense make whatever play it thinks is needed.