Jump to content

calablue

Established Member
  • Posts

    238
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by calablue

  1. I need some help on this one. I think this is a balk but want to be sure. R1, pitcher is engaged with the rubber, hands at sides like he would be if taking signs. He has not yet started his stretch move which will eventually bring him to the set position. From this position, can he fake a throw to 1st base without disengaging the rubber first, or is it in fact a balk?
  2. That's what I thought too. I'm sure I'm going to see something like this here again. Thanks
  3. Had this situation last night in 11/12 yr olds. Batter ducks to avoid being hit by pitch but leaves his bat up in the air and the ball hits the bat. Then I blew it. I immediately called FOUL BALL! Fortunately for me, nobody but me realized (too late) that the ball bounced off the bat and into fair territory (like a very weak bunt), never touching the batter. The pitcher walked up and picked the ball up, batter got back in the box, and on we went. Now the reason I posted this is to get some input on what would be the correct way to handle the following situation: Suppose the same situation takes place and I don't call FOUL BALL, but make the right call by pointing to fair territory several times to indicate that this is a fair ball. These kids, coaches, and parents all thought this was a foul ball because the batter was trying to get out of the way when the ball hit the bat. What would you do if tne batter didn't run and nobody tried to make a play? Is it time to announce that this is a fair ball aloud?
  4. calablue

    Legal pick-off?

    If I'm understanding you correctly, there are runners on 1st and 2nd, the pitcher is in contact with the rubber with his pivot foot, the runners take off and the pitcher throws to 3rd base to make a play on the now stealing runner. I don't see a balk here If the pitcher stepped toward third base before he threw. His throw to third is not considered throwing to an unoccupied base because he is attempting to make a play.
  5. yeah, I hate short seasons, but it gives me time to hunt a little.
  6. Hello all, My name is Mark Brisson. I am 54 years old. I live in Ocala, Fl. I'm married with most of my kids grown and a 15 year old stepdaughter still at home. I coached 13 - 15 yr olds for 5 years and then started umping 3 years ago along with one of my sons. I call 9-10, 11-12, 13-15yr old boys baseball and girls fastpitch softball. I also call an adult league under ncaa rules. All of the games I call use the two man system except the 9-10 yr olds who only get a single umpire. I visit this site often in search of answers and opinions regarding the rules and situations. I finally decided that it is about time for me to start asking some of my own questions and responding to those of others. I can't seem to learn enough fast enough and there are soooooo many situations that arise.
×
×
  • Create New...