Jump to content

Check swing, HBP *On Hand/Wrist* "above home plate" (NFHS 8.1.1d)


Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 915 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Recommended Posts

Posted

Had this situation twice in the past week:

B1 begins to swing at a high fastball that tails towards him, but never enters the box (stays over home plate, or at least between the chalk.)

B1 successfully "checked" his swing - he did not go.  But, in both cases, because his hands were now out over the plate, the pitch hit B1 on the hand/wrist.  In neither case did the ball ever contact the bat.

I ruled the first a dead ball Strike (on the exact same day as the Angel Hernandez incident below) and the second time a dead ball Ball.  In both cases, I didn't award 1st base on HBP, player remained at bat.  After reviewing 8-1-1d & the video, I think I got the first case (ruled a Strike) incorrect - B1 didn't fully swing and the pitch was up at chest level (above where I would typically call a strike.)

What say you?  Am I correct in not awarding 1B on HBP?  If so, it should only be a "Strike" based on 1) an attempted swing or 2) pitch crosses plate/contacts batter's body in the strike zone?

 

**Additional thought:  In my first case, I think Angel & I were thinking alike:  just like on a checked swing "foul ball" where the batter successfully stops his swing, but the pitch still hits the bat, the result is a Foul/Strike.  As I said, after reading 8-1-1d, I think the only determination of Strike/Ball is WHERE the pitch is when contacted.

 

Posted

Checklist for HBP (others will let me know at I've missed):

1) Did it hit the bat first and then batter? Foul

2) Was pitch a strike (or would have been if hits player in front of plate)? Yes = Dead ball strike

3) Did batter offer at the pitch? Yes = Dead ball strike

4) Did batter fulfill obligation to avoid, etc. (depends on rule set)? No = "Time. You stay here. That's a Ball". Yes = HBP

  • Like 1
Posted
22 hours ago, Velho said:

Did batter fulfill obligation to avoid, etc.

And therein lies the rub. I tend to be pretty lenient; in most (never say all) cases, if the batter stands still I'll give him the HBP. If there's any movement I see as toward contacting the ball, the benefit of doubt in my mind is removed.

  • Like 1
×
×
  • Create New...