There's always another balk scenario...

LMSANS
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 5487 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I think I may have missed this one over the weekend during a LL-Sr game. RHP with runners on takes the sign with his hands together at his waist. He moves to the set by bringing his legs together and moving his hands up to his chest, kind of a stretch without stretching. He never broke his hands until his actual delivery.

My partner and I were in agreement that we had nothing. If he had separated his hands during the stretch, we would have called a balk.

Then I was thinking on the ride home, doesn't the book say that the pitching hand must be by the side or behind the back?

This was LL-Sr, but if you have another rule set perspective, I would be interested.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is referred to a lot of times as "double setting". When he is on the rubber with his hands together, he is considered "set". Any move after that better be a pickoff attempt, step off of the rubber, or a pitch. If not, it is a balk. B/c, he has started his pitching motion and stopped when he lifted his free foot and put it back on the ground.

Now, I let this slide for anything under 13 simply b/c most of those kids have no clue(in my area any way) and I will mess them up more if I try to change their habits now.:agasp_: I never get questioned about if that is a balk or not. So, I leave it alone at that level.

We were actually questioned by a couple of the kids on the opposing team. When we got together on it between innings, we were both thinking the same way, so kick we did.:agasp_:

I'll be doing about 6 more of that teams games. I'll give the coach a heads up before hand so I don't have to deal with the "you let it go before".

I thought I was real comfortable with balks this year.:shrug:

I love expanding my knowledge.:HD:

This is referred to a lot of times as "double setting". When he is on the rubber with his hands together, he is considered "set". Any move after that better be a pickoff attempt, step off of the rubber, or a pitch. If not, it is a balk. B/c, he has started his pitching motion and stopped when he lifted his free foot and put it back on the ground.

Now, I let this slide for anything under 13 simply b/c most of those kids have no clue(in my area any way) and I will mess them up more if I try to change their habits now.:wave: I never get questioned about if that is a balk or not. So, I leave it alone at that level.

Classic double-set.

I agree, for under 13 leave this alone during the game as far as making a call, but at some point I tell someone (player, coach, manager, etc...) about it and encourage them to get it fixed before the kid moves up.

For 13-14, I might let it go once, depending upon the speicific situation, but I'm talking to the player &/or manager after that and calling it for the rest of the game.

This is referred to a lot of times as "double setting". When he is on the rubber with his hands together, he is considered "set".

If he takes the rubber with his hands together, you should stop action right there and ask / tell him to take the rubber with hands apart.

It's a "don't do that" (under OBR).