Want to get better.... what's a good clinic in the Midwest (preferably in OH)

wolfe_man
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 745 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I'm tired of not knowing if I am a good umpire or not.  I think I am, but I have no proof. 

I was assigned a playoff game this year, so maybe that's some affirmation; but I need to know, on a personal level, that I am a good umpire. I know that I am very good in the field, but want more help on timing and calling a good zone on the plate.

I see MLB Umpire Camps will be in Indianapolis on 5/21, so I signed up for it.  I also see there's a 5-day camp in Westfield, IN in June but it's $125 plus expenses ($150/night hotel plus food & gas costs) so that might be out of my budget right now.  If I could find some local clinics or same-day clinics within a few hours drive, I'm interested. 

Does anyone have any affordable clinics or camps that they recommend?  I can afford $125-350 for a camp, but I can't afford $500+ for a camp after everything is added up.

Thanks!

Keith

• Like 1

Bruce Doane camp in Grand Rapids is a good camp. NCAA guys instructing, assignors from Big 10 down to NAIA Crossroads (I think), some level of the Mich. state HS director/Wendlestedt instructor is there as well (his name escapes me, someone will have it here). They run a 2-man and 3-man clinic, (start with the 2-man, see about coming back for more).

If you’re ok to travel a bit, Mid-America camp in Missouri is great as well. This camp transformed me from a guy who does some umpiring into a serious umpire. 2 years later I was quickly climbing the postseason ladder in my area. Ran into a guy from my association here in OH….wish we woulda carpooled {facepalm}. Take someone with you, split the costs.

Scott Taylor used to have a camp at Grand Park (Indianapolis) but doesn’t any more? Maybe someone took it over and is holding something else.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Catch18 said:
Scott Taylor used to have a camp at Grand Park (Indianapolis) but doesn’t any more? Maybe someone took it over and is holding something else.

I think that might be the Westfield one now. Thanks