Jump to content
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1775 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Recommended Posts

Posted

I know Umpire Empire has some affiliations with the MiLB academy, one of the two professional schools.  So I'm wondering if it's ok to discuss some of the clinics who are not affiliated with them.  If not, please delete this post.

I just attended a 2-man clinic by the Umpire Training Institute in Phoenix, AZ.  Several of the instructors are also instructors for some of the other famous clinics (Blue and Black, Mid-American, etc.).  They are all big names, and have several college world series under their belts, etc.  One MLB umpire showed up and  signed a baseball for me.  

We had a good mix of students -- some of us were high school umpires looking to move up.  Others were brand new to umpiring, never having worked a single game, and others were Little League umpires looking to go to high school.  The instructors adjusted to the mix very well.  For some folks, they had to teach them to take their mask off when the ball is hit.  For others, we had those basics down so they were working with us to learn to read a play a little better and dial in our zone.

If you follow college baseball, you know Arizona State University is the "New York Yankees" of division I baseball.  Baseball is their official religion.  They were having an intra-squad scrimmage, and about half of us were given the opportunity to umpire the plate and the bases (due to the number of students, we got to work either an inning on the plate or a half inning on the bases).  I got to work the plate for an inning, and it was awesome.  

Do you know how you can tell when a batter or catcher disagrees with a ball/strike call based on their body language?  I didn't get a single one of those.  Not.  One.  I've been working this entire season on dialing in my strike zone,  so apparently it's paid off.  Of course it was only an inning, but I've never called pitches that fast (93 mph was the fastest, about 10 mph faster than what I've been seeing in high school ball).  It was the most fun I've had in a long time.

I highly recommend any umpire who cares to do a good  job attend one of these clinics every now and then.  I'm going to try for a 3-man clinic next year so I can work post-season in high school, or start getting my name out there for college Division II. 

  • Thanks 1
Posted

Worked an inter-quad game a week back at Long Beach State, which was my first taste of anything D1 related. I did not have any serious asperations to work college ball prior, but I am rethinking that position; the game almost called itself with how mechanical the play way. I know D1 is most likely not in my cards having not been to pro school or worked years in the minors, but there is a ton of JC and D2 and 3 baseball where I live. Couple that with much of the college ranks moving to 3 man mechanics for all levels in my area and the need for umpires increases. Maybe...

 

As for mentioning other clinics, I would hope that would not be stifled. Many of us, most likely the majority of us, will never go to pro or the associated schools. Mentioning and discussing locally based clinics should be encouraged. We are losing guys left and right, and if we can find better training which may help retain umpires, that should be priority number 1.

 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
×
×
  • Create New...