Sept 2021 Call of the Month - Ben May is Safe at Second

Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 932 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Tmac's September 2021 Call of the Month actually took place on October 1 as 2B Umpire Ben May called White Sox batter-runner Tim Anderson safe at second base while sliding away from Tigers infielder Willi Castro's lunging tag attempt. With runners on second and third base and none out, White Sox...

[[ This is a content summary only. Visit my website for full links, other content, and more! ]]

View the full article

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This series is very interesting, and enjoyable.  However, (and by NO MEANS is this a slam to the CCS team...love these guys!) .... after seeing quite a few of these teachable moments, I'm finding that a major aspect that was once taught as big a 'no-no' as an umpire is now perfectly ok.  Albeit, only certain situations affect this (not all the time) but ...  moving while making a call is now considered fine under the right circumstance.  A part of this stems from new techniques and teachings of 'getting in the right position', and/or, calling plays on the field from inside to now outside (wedge at 2nd and 3rd now also).... but ....  

Just an example of how things progress, and change.  What was once a negative, is now encouraged due to new mechanics and getting into the right position to see everything.   

Ok, that's it ........... Just some mindless thoughts ... :D 

19 hours ago, Thunderheads said:

This series is very interesting, and enjoyable.  However, (and by NO MEANS is this a slam to the CCS team...love these guys!) .... after seeing quite a few of these teachable moments, I'm finding that a major aspect that was once taught as big a 'no-no' as an umpire is now perfectly ok.  Albeit, only certain situations affect this (not all the time) but ...  moving while making a call is now considered fine under the right circumstance.  A part of this stems from new techniques and teachings of 'getting in the right position', and/or, calling plays on the field from inside to now outside (wedge at 2nd and 3rd now also).... but ....  

Just an example of how things progress, and change.  What was once a negative, is now encouraged due to new mechanics and getting into the right position to see everything.   

Ok, that's it ........... Just some mindless thoughts ... :D 

I agree with this statement.  I have come to the conclusion that in some instances, you have to keep moving to see what you need to see.  This doesn't take away from hustling more, but, there are instances where I am a two or three steps from where I should be but I have stopped to follow the rule of still head/eyes make the best calls. 

1 hour ago, BLWizzRanger said:

I agree with this statement.  I have come to the conclusion that in some instances, you have to keep moving to see what you need to see.  This doesn't take away from hustling more, but, there are instances where I am a two or three steps from where I should be but I have stopped to follow the rule of still head/eyes make the best calls. 

I also think that 2 man is a different universe.  You still need to honor 'angle over distance' because, you just can't be everywhere! ;)      I do also believe that a lot of the 'teachable moments' are mainly focused on 4 man simply based on what I said first ....