Little roller up first base line - collision

Guest Guest
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1377 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

Guest Guest

NFHS rules, 14U game

Batter hits a slow roller up the first base line. Pitcher comes quickly off the mound to field it, gains control of the ball about 25 feet from the base just as the batter-runner is converging on the scene. He attempts to tag the batter/runner who is running legally in foul territory. As the pitcher applies the tag, the ball flies out of his glove and rolls directly towards the bag., The runner continues towards the base but staggers and stumbles and falls down about a foot short of the base and F3 grabs the ball and steps on the bag for the out. 

I called nothing because the although the pitcher hindered the runner's progress towards the base, he did have control of the ball before it got knocked loose. There was not a major collision or anything, mostly just a hard smack of a glove tagging a runner going full speed down the line. However, the contact and the fact that the pitcher was somewhat in the base path was obviously enough to throw BR's steps off enough to where he stumbled and eventually fell. 

I still tend to think it was the right call but am definitely questioning myself. If I can add any more detail please let me know.

5 answers to this question

Guest Guest

OP here. Just read my original post and want to clarify that the ball was only about 9 inches from the line when the pitcher picked it up, and he was straddling the line when the contact took place. I dont want anyone to picture the P picking up the ball and running towards the runner. The P picked up the ball and the runner was already on top of him.

Guest Guest Guest

Thank you for the reply Matt. The pitcher did (barely) have time to gather the ball before the runner got to him and the runner did alter his path VERY SLIGHTLY towards the 1st base dugout to avoid a collision/avoid the tag. So that part wasnt an issue here.