Back at it

Triguy29
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2194 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I'm finally back at it. I umpired for about 5 years but changed careers and my schedule didn't allow me to do games. I went back to teaching and the first thing I did was to call my assignor and let him know that I was coming back. I have my first scrimmage today and I can't wait, except that it's going to be freezing. 

• Like 1

Younger people just aren't coming in,  many of those who do don't stay.

Reasons often heard is that:

•  Unless Self-employed or retired, Game times do not match up well with availabilities
  • Parent/ Coach/ Fan abuse
  • Radically differing pay scales and procedures

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Stan W. said:

Younger people just aren't coming in,  many of those who do don't stay.

Reasons often heard is that:

•  Unless Self-employed or retired, Game times do not match up well with availabilities
  • Parent/ Coach/ Fan abuse
  • Radically differing pay scales and procedures

That happened over here in Western PA.  there is one chapter that straight up told their schools "we can't do all your games."   So for JV they are bringing a few teams to one field on a saturday and using one umpire for 3-4 games

• 4 weeks later...

GPblue you are spot on.

In the Lehigh Valley Area we are losing officials at 37% for all sports.  New officials sign up, but after a year or so, they either go off to college or are not willing to take the abuse and drop out.

I don't assign PIAA sports, but if games were only pushed back an hour, more would be available.  

• Parents have become worse of the years in everything.  
  • I do feel that some senior umpires can be put off with new officials because they think they are taking games away from them.  
  • The initial cost of getting into baseball as an umpire is more than other sports.
  • Kids that are interested have trouble getting to locations because parents don't want to drive them and sit in a car, etc.

Personally, being an official is a great job. Most of the time it's good money, your weekend nights are usually free, etc.

4pm start times are just tough to do.