Idaho Montana Game

Mister B
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2456 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I'm watching, and am really confused. R2 & R3, deep ball caught at the fence. Looks like both runners tag up but then there was a whole lotta weirdness. U3 sends R2 (now on third) to the dugout. Then the team makes an appeal at 3B, during the time, then they make a legal appeal at 3B and then at 2B. Where U2 makes no signal. 

Of course, the announcers are talking about force outs and appeals, but none of it makes any sense. 

Did I miss something?

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Mister B said:

I'm watching, and am really confused. R2 & R3, deep ball caught at the fence. Looks like both runners tag up but then there was a whole lotta weirdness. U3 sends R2 (now on third) to the dugout. Then the team makes an appeal at 3B, during the time, then they make a legal appeal at 3B and then at 2B. Where U2 makes no signal. 

Of course, the announcers are talking about force outs and appeals, but none of it makes any sense. 

Did I miss something?

More than likely. As your post seems frantic and lacks any reference to an inning or time or actual game reference, one might think you missed something. We  are all not watching the, I'm guessing, the LL NW Regional tonite. But a screw up might have happened. Narrow it down.

LL NW Regional, available on ESPN 3, about 1:34, top 4, bases loaded, no outs. Fly to F8 caught. R2 gets a lead and returns to the vicinity of 2B as the ball is caught and then "tags" to 3B. Video is inconclusive of his retouch. But the defense appeared to think he did not and properly appealed by throwing to 3B where F5 tagged R2 and he was declared out by, I think, U2. U3 then told him he was out. In any case an umpire and the defense thought that he did not retouch correctly. 2 outs. Then an appeal on R3 scoring goatrope happened. When it finally was done correctly R3 was declared safe. Another appeal throw to 2B was not ruled on since that runner had already been declared out on appeal. The announcers did not understand that R2 was properly appealed during a live ball by the defense tagging him at 3B. They did show a split screen which shows R2 attempting  a retouch during the catch but it doesn't show the actual base touch.

A tough situation to follow made almost impossible for the average fan to comprehend because of 2 morons with absolutely no idea what's happening, but feel the need to show off their lack of baseball knowledge by going on and on about rules and plays they clearly no nothing about. 

Sorry, was also trying to work during all of this. IIRC, there was also a replay request in the midst of all this. I caught the original out of the corner of my eye and then when the announcers took over on the replays it all went to hell. Of course, not having a camera angle of the retouch didn't help. 

I'm watching on Sling, so I don't have the ability to rewind or replay. 

5 minutes ago, Mister B said:

Sorry, was also trying to work during all of this. IIRC, there was also a replay request in the midst of all this. I caught the original out of the corner of my eye and then when the announcers took over on the replays it all went to hell. Of course, not having a camera angle of the retouch didn't help. 

I'm watching on Sling, so I don't have the ability to rewind or replay. 

It appears the offense asked U2 and he went to the booth with the PU. It appears the play stood either because it was reviewable and R2 didn't retouch or because it wasn't reviewable. It wasn't clear which happened. I won't comment on how much the announcers enhanced my understanding of the events. But given many instances of "what happened" baseball prefers, even at the MLB level, to keep the hoi poloi guessing.