Pitcher backing up home

BrianC14
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2432 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Does this happen in other areas of the country?

In my neck of the woods, I have seen countless times where F1 comes racing in to back up a developing play at the plate.

The problem comes when F1 decides to camp out right on 3BLX.   Never mind the direction from which the throw is coming, that's where they all go.   A bigger problem is that they want to share the dirt circle with HPU.   

Clearly, coaches aren't doing much teaching on where F1 should be when backing up home.   Tactically, it makes little sense for F1 to back up F2 by being 6 to 8 feet away from the plate.   

Thoughts?

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, BrianC14 said:

Clearly, coaches aren't doing much teaching on where F1 should be when backing up home.  

Thoughts?

What age group?

At 12U regular season sometimes it's an adventure just to get them back up at all, let alone making a decision on 3rd or HP and how far back to get.

28 minutes ago, noumpere said:

I have (had) more problems with the on-deck hitter or prior runners than with F1.  You can (gently) move them out of the way.

Yep, have had that a number of times as well;  it makes things nice and cozy.   On a couple of occasions I've had one or the other actually get between myself and the plate.   :o

1 minute ago, Rich Ives said:

What age group?

At 12U regular season sometimes it's an adventure just to get them back up at all, let alone making a decision on 3rd or HP and how far back to get.

HS varsity, jr. varsity.... 5A schools to the smallest of 1A schools.   

52 minutes ago, Rich Ives said:

5A Varsity should know.  1A JV might not. ;)

You'd think, right?  It's pandemic here.  And it's a real circus when F1 is joined by the on-deck batter and a runner (or runners) who just scored.   "Who the heck called this meeting, anyway?"