Once in a lifetime experience...

Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2911 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I had the unique situation of calling a perfect game tonight. It was already in the local paper's website by the time I got home.

I had the plate. Both the pitcher and catcher were excellent.

http://pilotonline.com/sports/baseball-hickory-s-gregory-throws-perfect-game/article_34121f5d-fa1c-5ad1-a234-037efc8b96fb.html

• Like 6

From the article:  “I always depend on my defense,” Gregory said. “They always have my back, and I’ve never been disappointed in them. That helps me relax knowing I have backup.”

and he didn't even give you any credit for your awesome job behind the plate.;)

3 hours ago, KenBAZ said:

Wow, awesome! Did you feel any pressure as you got close to the perfect game? Did you and your partner talk about it at all?

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

I really didn't feel any pressure. The guy was hitting his marks, working quickly and just bringing it. When pitchers are "on" it makes our jobs easier. 

As a rule, unless I must, I don't talk to my partner during the game. Between innings I manage the pitcher, get baseballs or whatever else I need to do and I expect my partner to thoroughly inspect the grass in shallow right field. It's a pet peeve of mine when umpires want to chat it up between innings. Now, my partner and I talked about it for a while after the game it was pretty exciting for us too. He's a much more experienced umpire than I and a really good guy and umpire. He's actually leaving tomorrow to work a D-I conference tourney. But this the first Perfect game he had ever had too.

56 minutes ago, Aging_Arbiter said:

I guess my question would be as smooth as the game had to be moving, did you even realize it was a perfect game before it was over?

No hitter yes I knew that, but in the 6th I started wondering if he had walked anybody. I couldn't remember. I didn't know it was perfect until the announcement was made on the PA and the ensuing celebration. I also thought it was kind of cool that the school had a soccer game going on at the same time and we parked near the football stadium where they were playing and they announced it on the PA at the soccer game and you could hear the fans cheer about it.

I also didn't realize how quick the game was. My partner and I were both dressed and in our street clothes before we looked at the time. Even after getting changed it had only been an hour and a half.

54 minutes ago, dookiexman said:

From the article:  “I always depend on my defense,” Gregory said. “They always have my back, and I’ve never been disappointed in them. That helps me relax knowing I have backup.”

and he didn't even give you any credit for your awesome job behind the plate.;)

Like I said the guy was just "on" he made my job easy. 

On a side note, I've had - to be perfectly frank-  a pretty $h1tty week this week both in my personal life and with some things going on at work. The weather was gloomy earlier in the day and because of all the rain we had been getting having the game was in question and I was thinking to my self, 'I do not want this game to be cancelled, I need a couple of hours of escape where I can leave all the crap behind.' This game gave me the little bit of pick-me-up I needed very much. 

Fun stuff chief... congrats! 

1 hour ago, Umpire in Chief said:

I've had - to be perfectly frank-  a pretty $h1tty week this week both in my personal life and with some things going on at work.

17 For this light momentary affliction is preparing for us an eternal weight of glory beyond all comparison, 18 as we look not to the things that are seen but to the things that are unseen. For the things that are seen are transient, but the things that are unseen are eternal. - The Holy Bible: English Standard Version. (2001). (2 Co 4:17–18). Wheaton: Standard Bible Society.