Pants Question

Storm13
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2983 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I know this is a crazy question but I just moved and in the move all my umpiring pants got mixed up. I had tried to keep the Heather and Charcoal separate and the Plate and base separate.  Is there a trick to telling what pants are what?  I plan to get them separated back out and put a label in each as to the color and style but I tend to look at them and they all seem the same cut to me...and the heather and charcoal don't seem much different either in my opinion so I just don't want look like a moron at the first scrimmages of the season coming up.  

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, noumpere said:

use a permanent marker on one of the pockets (or on the tag that's usually on one of the pockets).  I also put the year I got them and swap them out after a while.

Thanks...i was planning to mark them with a C for Charcoal and H for Heather and then a P for plate and B for base.  so i can keep them straight...just need to figure out how to tell which ones are each to mark them.  so I will have CP, CB, HP, and HB pants marked when I get done.

I am not sure what brand you wear, but Smitty combo pants have white pockets and the base pants have blue pockets. 

I always double take on the heather/charcoal as well.  Solved that by wrapping the heather's up and putting them on the top shelf. 

Don't Smitty plate pants also have an extra layer of fabric in the seat? You can distinguish plate and base pants by this and the seam.

Bring both colors to your first game, then match your partner. If he says he's wearing heather, then mark the matching pants, both plate and base, accordingly. Then, the other pants are charcoal.

15 minutes ago, LRZ said:

Don't Smitty plate pants also have an extra layer of fabric in the seat? You can distinguish plate and base pants by this and the seam.

Bring both colors to your first game, then match your partner. If he says he's wearing heather, then mark the matching pants, both plate and base, accordingly. Then, the other pants are charcoal.

That is a great suggestion...i will do that.

30 minutes ago, conbo61 said:

I am not sure what brand you wear, but Smitty combo pants have white pockets and the base pants have blue pockets. 

I always double take on the heather/charcoal as well.  Solved that by wrapping the heather's up and putting them on the top shelf. 

I have a few Smitty and a few Honig.  I have both colors because the LL I work with wants Heather and the HS league wants Charcoal.  Wish I could just have one color and be done with it.

If you can't tell the difference between your heather and your charcoal it's probably time for new charcoal. I only say this because all Smitty brand pants I own start as Charcoal for two years, then they become my Heather for two years, and then, almost overnight, turn a shade of purple that no self respecting umpire should be wearing. A tip I picked up from a veteran many years ago is that if you can easily see a difference in the front thigh area of the pants, and the area of the waist that your belt covers, it is time for new pants.