Jump to content
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4112 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Recommended Posts

Posted

I've read in the past that some of you use Florida water or ammonia spirits along with ice water to stay cool.  What do you think is the best and what ratio of solution to ice water do you normally use for the best results?

Posted

I haven't used Florida Water. But for Re-hydration I started using Rehydrate.

Better and much healthier than Gatorade.

Posted

You don't drink "Florida water". It's a solution of water and spirits of ammonia usp.  You soak towels and washcloths in and rub on your neck and head to cool you down quickly. 

This link explains it. 

http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=98415

​I knew that you didn't drink it.  However, I tried soaking towels like you stated but I think maybe I put too much "Florida water" in the ice water because it smelled pretty strong and it didn't cool me off as well as I thought it would.  I'll check out your link though.  Many thanks!

Posted

I haven't used Florida Water. But for Re-hydration I started using Rehydrate.

Better and much healthier than Gatorade.

​I'll have to give that a try.  Recently, I've been drinking smart water and taking electrolyte pills.  Seems to work good.  

Also been using ankle and arch supports and my feet and lower back have been feeling much better after games.

 

http://www.amazon.com/Trace-Minerals-Research-Performance-Electrolyte/dp/B000AMR8YO/ref=sr_1_1?s=instant-video&ie=UTF8&qid=1435611155&sr=8-1&keywords=electrolyte+stamina

 

  • Like 1
Posted

​I'll have to give that a try.  Recently, I've been drinking smart water and taking electrolyte pills.  Seems to work good.  

Also been using ankle and arch supports and my feet and lower back have been feeling much better after games.

 

http://www.amazon.com/Trace-Minerals-Research-Performance-Electrolyte/dp/B000AMR8YO/ref=sr_1_1?s=instant-video&ie=UTF8&qid=1435611155&sr=8-1&keywords=electrolyte+stamina

 

Discovered Rehydrate while on my diet and needed a product to help me.

its been great.

Posted (edited)

It is my understanding that the ice water towels applied to your core spots (chest, neck, skull, spine) facilitate the transfer of body heat to the surface, then the alcohol component in Florida Water/Spirits/Aftershave/etc evaporates quickly and radiates the heat away.   Seems to really help in humid climates where the sweat simply won't evaporate, and instead creates a hot water coat. 

99 degrees in Norco, CA yesterday with 42% humidity.  I did four games.  (I prefer to be one-and-done , but I was helping out).   The Ice Towels, Florida Water, and Pickle Juice (for electrolytes) made all the difference. 

 

 

Edited by sdix00
Posted

I hear ya, @sdix00. I'm here in Bakersfield and it has been unusually humid.  We normally get the dry heat that allows for easy evaporation.  Recently, it's been really nasty with the humidity which just kills.  For my second full year umpiring - I've discovered that it's all about proper hydration and diet, staying cool, and taking good care of your feet.  You mess around with any of that and everything else will start going to SH*#.

×
×
  • Create New...