This was cool

Tksjewelry
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3283 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I had a 12u game tonight. As my partner and I hit the plate for the plate meeting, both coaches come running up to me and ask if I'm Johns daughter. A little hesitantly I say "yeah", then they both start inquiring about my dad's surgery. My dad is an umpire also and just loves doing kids rec leagues. He's known for making the parents sing "Take Me Out to the Ball Game" before games, which drives UIC crazy. Yesterday he had heart surgery and won't be doing games probably for the rest of the season, which broke his heart. Both teams were so worried about him, said they were praying for him and want him back on their fields soon. I was just so touched and proud. 

• Like 14

You know what? 3 years ago I had a triple bypass and 7 weeks later was doing the dish on an U16 game.

I was 69 at the time so your dad may not be finished for the season. 

Tony

You know what? 3 years ago I had a triple bypass and 7 weeks later was doing the dish on an U16 game.

I was 69 at the time so your dad may not be finished for the season. 

Tony

I talked to his doc, he may be out on BU in time for TC during CWS. I hope so, he loves it so much. So many coaches and other umpires have emailed, text, and called to check on him. I love our baseball community. 

Thanks 

Thanks @Majordave & @LittleBlue he's doing great and even making me take him to the senior umpire breakfast in Thursday. 

That's what the sport aught to be like, sounds like a very decent community.  Glad to hear the prognosis is good and he may yet get back on the diamond!

• Like 2