Throwing to unoccupied 2B, runner on 1B

Guest Tman
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3311 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

http://m.mlb.com/video/v67561683

So John Lackey turns and throws to second base with Hamilton taking his lead off 1B. Hamilton never indicated that he was going to 2B, Lackey just freaked for whatever reason.

If Hamilton had taken off running after Lackey lifted his front leg, does that make the move not a balk? 

This is the best illustration I've seen thus far in higher level ball of a question we've been debating on Baseball-Fever.com in the youth coaching section. There is a sentiment that at some levels of youth ball, the bases are track meets, so if you know that a runner on 1B is going on first movement, then why not simply use the inside move to 2B and throw there? 

No worries on my part with it effecting their accuracy....like I said, many/most already do it now with an R2, with as good, if not better mechanics than with just an R1.

There's a big difference.  With R2, they can inside move and feint or throw all day long with no risk of balking.  With R1, they will have to react to R1's movement (which he cannot see) and then choose in the middle of raising his free foot where he wants to go.  If all R1 is doing is taking a secondary lead and F1 uses the inside move, he's going to get balked.

If it was as easy as you think, everyone would be doing it.

I just re-read this thread, and boy does my head hurt.  Mud, you are difficult to translate.

My apologies, still trying to learn the terminology used at this site, as it is slightly different than some of the other BB sites I post at.

What does "inside move" mean?  Is it restricted to an RH F1 turning clockwise (viewed from above) past third to step to second?

Yes, a CW turn towards 2B is what is considered an "inside" move (F1 turned to the "inside" of his body to make the move vs. spinning backwards, or turning "outside" of his body to throw there).

If so, then the knee (or any other body part) at the balance point would not move to home and not commit the pitcher to pitch.  If the pitcher turns counter-clockwise (i.e., past first), then the knee would necessarily move toward home.  Would this commit the RH F1 to pitch? 

That's the crux of the conversation.   If I've not been succinct enough with my point(s), I be happy to answer specific questions for clarity, but I'd rather not try to re-present all my thoughts/position(s) on the matter.

No worries on my part with it effecting their accuracy....like I said, many/most already do it now with an R2, with as good, if not better mechanics than with just an R1.

There's a big difference.  With R2, they can inside move and feint or throw all day long with no risk of balking.  With R1, they will have to react to R1's movement (which he cannot see) and then choose in the middle of raising his free foot where he wants to go.  If all R1 is doing is taking a secondary lead and F1 uses the inside move, he's going to get balked.

If it was as easy as you think, everyone would be doing it.

I disagree, the move is quite simple....I believe everyone's not doing it because it's an illegal move, but I might be way wrong, and why I'll have to check with the umpires in my neck of the woods before trying it.

But seriously, all we would have to do is make that long/slow deliberate move with the first top of the order guy that got on. You don't think an opposing coach or R1 wouldn't be running on the next pitch or two, if they weren't already on that one?

Heck, I'd be willing to risk a strike or two if it's going to get me an easy out, set the tone for the rest of the game....and more than likely, hysterically watch the opposing coach come literally unglued with the umpire, when blue allows my RHP to hose his runner with a move like that.  I think the daytime fireworks would be just spectacular.  

The mechanics of the move are simple, but the mental focus needed to decide when to use it will be a challenge.  We just saw an MLB pitcher step off after going into his windup with R3 taking an aggressive secondary.  Just deliver the pitch - simple, right?

But hey, I look forward to hearing about you putting it into practice.  It should be entertaining either way.