Professional musician graduating from the Wendlestedt School on Tuesday

dana
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3371 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Hello

My name is Dana and I am a professional musician (a Broadway show drummer--the guy sitting in the pit--for over 30 years) from Boston and Fort Lauderdale.

I am very new to umpiring, I started last March in Broward County (FL) and worked the rest of the summer in Boston. I was very fortunate to be assigned to over 140 games in 5 months and had some fantastic partners who were able to educate me in the basics. I decided to go the the W Professional Course this year and am graduating this coming Tuesday. I am 48 years old and had no illusions about ever making it into the minor leagues. I have been given the names of numerous college assignors, but am choosing to get a year of experience before I pursue that road. 

I've been visiting this website since last May; I was searching for ways to keep cool on the field and Google brought me here.

I've learned a lot from the Forums and thought that I might be able to share my experience at the W school.

I keep very, very detailed notes and have the entire classroom curriculum and the entire fieldwork curriculum in two separate notebooks. 

I also kept notes on the instructors, the schedule and subjects of exams----basically everything that happened over the entire 30 day course.

If anyone has any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Thank you for all of the help you've given me.

Dana

P.S. Yes, it's worth it. Every penny. 

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Awessome to have you here. I guess you've read Jonnycat's blog over the past month. We all love reading it. We would definitely like to hear your experience as well. If you feel like sharing.

Welcome.

Awessome to have you here. I guess you've read Jonnycat's blog over the past month. We all love reading it. We would definitely like to hear your experience as well. If you feel like sharing.

Welcome.

No, I was not aware of Jonnycat's blog.

I just checked it out and I will not be writing anything that detailed----I do not type well.

I am heading out to eat a late dinner and I will start reading though it then.

Dana

Hey Johnny, 

The online store on the website requires our student ID and our password.

On the front page that we see after logging in it says "The online store is open for student access only".

I will ask Brent tomorrow about this, but I think if you go to the contact page and send them an e mail, you most likely can purchase it that way.

Thanks 

Dana

BTW 

The W Two Man Mechanics book (affectionally referred to as "The Blue Book") is INCREDIBLE! It is the greatest two man book I've ever seen, but it is also outdated and won't be available until next year.

If you can find a copy ANYWHERE grab it. 

One person in class has an older copy. I borrowed it and copied all 126 pages of every possible scenario that can occur on a field at Kinko's for $17.

Hello

My name is Dana and I am a professional musician (a Broadway show drummer--the guy sitting in the pit--for over 30 years) from Boston and Fort Lauderdale.

I am very new to umpiring, I started last March in Broward County (FL) and worked the rest of the summer in Boston. I was very fortunate to be assigned to over 140 games in 5 months and had some fantastic partners who were able to educate me in the basics. I decided to go the the W Professional Course this year and am graduating this coming Tuesday. I am 48 years old and had no illusions about ever making it into the minor leagues. I have been given the names of numerous college assignors, but am choosing to get a year of experience before I pursue that road. 

I've been visiting this website since last May; I was searching for ways to keep cool on the field and Google brought me here.

I've learned a lot from the Forums and thought that I might be able to share my experience at the W school.

I keep very, very detailed notes and have the entire classroom curriculum and the entire fieldwork curriculum in two separate notebooks. 

I also kept notes on the instructors, the schedule and subjects of exams----basically everything that happened over the entire 30 day course.

If anyone has any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Thank you for all of the help you've given me.

Dana

P.S. Yes, it's worth it. Every penny. 

Be sure and find a good mentor. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Dana,

Thanks for your posts.

Can you please post a link to where the materials are available for purchase? I'm not having any luck online.

Johnny 

I did ask Brent about the books. 

He said to send an email through the contact area on the website.

I'm not really sure about the situation. I asked a number of second year students about the books, and they thought (I cannot confirm this) that the books were only available to students. 

Good luck