Jump to content
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4453 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Recommended Posts

Posted

I was watching a LL State Playoff game. I think the level was 10-11, but that doesn't matter.

 

Situation #1:

 

F1 had "BIG" hair -- cap fell off numerous times when he threw the ball.

Hard hit ball toward F1, ball hits off his glove goes almost straight up and comes down landing inside F1's cap (that had come off again and was lying on the ground). F1 quickly grabs the ball and throws the slow moving B-R out at 1B.  The umpire lets the out stand -- was this the correct call?

 

Situation #2:

 

Ball hit -- Runner on 1B going to 2B -- BU is busting inside -- R1 suddenly stops and the BU runs over him almost knocking him to the ground -- Runner is out -- BU rules "umpire interference" and places the runner of 2B.  Was this correct? 

 

  • Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted

Play one:  Use of detached equipment must be deliberate to be a violation.

 

Play two: The only way a BU can interfere is if he is hit by a batted ball before it touches or passes a fielder.

Posted

I was watching a LL State Playoff game. I think the level was 10-11, but that doesn't matter.

 

Situation #1:

 

F1 had "BIG" hair -- cap fell off numerous times when he threw the ball.

Hard hit ball toward F1, ball hits off his glove goes almost straight up and comes down landing inside F1's cap (that had come off again and was lying on the ground). F1 quickly grabs the ball and throws the slow moving B-R out at 1B.  The umpire lets the out stand -- was this the correct call?

 

Situation #2:

 

Ball hit -- Runner on 1B going to 2B -- BU is busting inside -- R1 suddenly stops and the BU runs over him almost knocking him to the ground -- Runner is out -- BU rules "umpire interference" and places the runner of 2B.  Was this correct?

#2. Umpire interference is not the correct term. It should have been called umpire obstruction, which of course does not exist. Maybe the BU saw the NCAA crew call it a year or two back and thought it is a correct ruling:)

BTW, how many umps on crew? I would expect more than 2 in a state event. If so, busting in seems strange.

Posted

 

I was watching a LL State Playoff game. I think the level was 10-11, but that doesn't matter.

 

Situation #1:

 

F1 had "BIG" hair -- cap fell off numerous times when he threw the ball.

Hard hit ball toward F1, ball hits off his glove goes almost straight up and comes down landing inside F1's cap (that had come off again and was lying on the ground). F1 quickly grabs the ball and throws the slow moving B-R out at 1B.  The umpire lets the out stand -- was this the correct call?

 

Situation #2:

 

Ball hit -- Runner on 1B going to 2B -- BU is busting inside -- R1 suddenly stops and the BU runs over him almost knocking him to the ground -- Runner is out -- BU rules "umpire interference" and places the runner of 2B.  Was this correct?

#2. Umpire interference is not the correct term. It should have been called umpire obstruction, which of course does not exist. Maybe the BU saw the NCAA crew call it a year or two back and thought it is a correct ruling:)

BTW, how many umps on crew? I would expect more than 2 in a state event. If so, busting in seems strange.

 

There were 3 umpires.  I have no idea what 3-man mechanics on a small field are suppose to look like. 

Posted

Play one:  Use of detached equipment must be deliberate to be a violation.

 

Play two: The only way a BU can interfere is if he is hit by a batted ball before it touches or passes a fielder.

Thanks Rich.  I knew the answers but I didn't know if things were done differently in LL -- again, thanks!

Posted

I was watching a LL State Playoff game. I think the level was 10-11, but that doesn't matter.

 

Situation #1:

 

F1 had "BIG" hair -- cap fell off numerous times when he threw the ball.

Hard hit ball toward F1, ball hits off his glove goes almost straight up and comes down landing inside F1's cap (that had come off again and was lying on the ground). F1 quickly grabs the ball and throws the slow moving B-R out at 1B.  The umpire lets the out stand -- was this the correct call?

 

Situation #2:

 

Ball hit -- Runner on 1B going to 2B -- BU is busting inside -- R1 suddenly stops and the BU runs over him almost knocking him to the ground -- Runner is out -- BU rules "umpire interference" and places the runner of 2B.  Was this correct?

#2. Umpire interference is not the correct term. It should have been called umpire obstruction, which of course does not exist. Maybe the BU saw the NCAA crew call it a year or two back and thought it is a correct ruling:)

BTW, how many umps on crew? I would expect more than 2 in a state event. If so, busting in seems strange.

There were 3 umpires.  I have no idea what 3-man mechanics on a small field are suppose to look like.

I would expect U1 in A and U2 outside in C.

Posted

 

 

 

I was watching a LL State Playoff game. I think the level was 10-11, but that doesn't matter.

 

Situation #1:

 

F1 had "BIG" hair -- cap fell off numerous times when he threw the ball.

Hard hit ball toward F1, ball hits off his glove goes almost straight up and comes down landing inside F1's cap (that had come off again and was lying on the ground). F1 quickly grabs the ball and throws the slow moving B-R out at 1B.  The umpire lets the out stand -- was this the correct call?

 

Situation #2:

 

Ball hit -- Runner on 1B going to 2B -- BU is busting inside -- R1 suddenly stops and the BU runs over him almost knocking him to the ground -- Runner is out -- BU rules "umpire interference" and places the runner of 2B.  Was this correct?

#2. Umpire interference is not the correct term. It should have been called umpire obstruction, which of course does not exist. Maybe the BU saw the NCAA crew call it a year or two back and thought it is a correct ruling:)

BTW, how many umps on crew? I would expect more than 2 in a state event. If so, busting in seems strange. There were 3 umpires.  I have no idea what 3-man mechanics on a small field are suppose to look like.

I would expect U1 in A and U2 outside in C.

 

Sounds like these guys had no idea what small field 3-man mechanics are either....

 

I want to ask a small field 3-man mechanics question.  If I understand correctly in 2-man mechanics the plate umpire has all catches in the outfield - how does it work with 3-man?  Is the field divided between the 2-base umpires?  There was some mix-up on a play in the same game last night. The BU that I thought should have made a call on a fly-ball didn't, he thought it was the PU's call so neither was watching. Luckily the other BU saw the catch and they got together to make the correct call.

Posted

In 3 man on a 60' diamond, all fly balls to the outfield (except trouble balls) are the responsibility of the plate umpire.

Posted

In 3 man on a 60' diamond, all fly balls to the outfield (except trouble balls) are the responsibility of the plate umpire.

 

Really, why?  It would seem like with the smaller diamond it would be easier for one of the BU's to go out and the other to come in?

Posted

In 3 man on a 60' diamond, all fly balls to the outfield (except trouble balls) are the responsibility of the plate umpire.

thats not necessarily correct , it depends on how the crew pre game their coverage . for instance when we run 3 man 60' , U1 U3 divide the outfield acordingly , and one of them depending on what they pregame will go out on all fly balls . PU in this scenario has only the fly ball coverage for the Umpire who is NOT on the wing  , depending on where the runners are .

Posted

I agree if it is pre gamed, then you can run it differently. The default coverage out of the 60' manual from LL has PU taking all fly balls except for trouble balls

×
×
  • Create New...