Jump to content
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4511 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Recommended Posts

Posted

This Friday I am having an umpire meeting. Part of the discussion will be on the "Ignore-Acknowledge-Warn-Eject" technique... How to eject, automatic ejections, how to not allow a coach to bully you, etc.

 

I've attended a couple games this year incognito and the inmates are trying to run the asylum at times.

 

SO, six years of pent up WTF moments and stored smart ass comments I've heard from managers and coaches is coming out on Friday!!

Any advice for me to pass on to these Junior umps?

Posted

focus on technique and teaching, too often these turn into "No s**t, I was there" war story sessions...

  • Like 5
Posted

focus on technique and teaching, too often these turn into "No s**t, I was there" war story sessions...

That's the truth, My first training was war story's with some technique stuff thrown in here and there, the next year those teachers were gone and the new guys cut out the s**t war stories and the umpire corps of the league improved vastly
Posted

Agree with a couple of others: be careful about how you use war stories.  (I do instruction for soccer referees, not umpires.)  War stories are fun to tell, but all too often instructors tell irrelevant war stories because they are fun and not because they are effective instruction -- often the stories are irrelevant because they address a different level of behavior than what is relevant to the audience ore really don't have anything to do with what officials can do to make things better.  So my suggestion would be to limit yourself to two war stories:  (1) from your early days, at the same level as the umps you're talking to, where the way you handled it made things worse than they could have been.  then, after you've imparted wisdom, go back to that story and have them tell you what the novice you could have done better with what they've learned.  Then, (2) tell a story [again, from the same level of games they will be doing] where you did some of the things you talk about and a it-could-be-ugly scenario worked out fine.  In other words, tell the "war stories" in ways that give them confidence that they can handle situations if they do it properly, not in the sense of the horrors of being an umpire.

  • Like 4
Posted

I would keep it simple.  The best ejection advice I ever got was the Three P's of Ejections.

 

Personal- "YOU Suck."

 

Profane- "That call EFFIN' Sucked."

 

Prolonged- "That call sucked." " I hear you Coach but I am not changing my call."  "Blue, that call really sucked."  "Coach, we are done here.  Go back to your dugout."  "No, I want to tell you how much that call sucked, blah, blah, blah....."  "BOOM!  Coach, You're gone!"

 

My .02............

  • Like 3
Posted

Thanks for the tips! I've downloaded some videos to my computer. We can look at them, what was done right and wrong, and what you should do.

 

I'm going to try to keep it away from my personal stories. I don't think they would help these Junior umps much.

Posted

Thanks for the tips! I've downloaded some videos to my computer. We can look at them, what was done right and wrong, and what you should do.

I'm going to try to keep it away from my personal stories. I don't think they would help these Junior umps much.

Well make sure they know mistakes will happen, I got over my two huge blunders; first plate game I blinked yelled strike!! Turned out ball bounced, oops, first base game I lost the ball, next thing I know bam short stop rams me, They need to know they are humans, not machines
  • Like 1
Posted

Do all swear words count as profanity? Or is it the F, P B & C bombs only?

Tucker, it depends on the level. In youth ball, I'm ejecting for any swear word, at any volume.

Posted

Do all swear words count as profanity? Or is it the F, P B & C bombs only?

Tucker, it depends on the level. In youth ball, I'm ejecting for any swear word, at any volume.Ok thanks Good to know
Posted

 

Do all swear words count as profanity? Or is it the F, P B & C bombs only?

Tucker, it depends on the level. In youth ball, I'm ejecting for any swear word, at any volume.

 

Do you mean that if direted at you, or heard at all?  Kid catches his cleats in his laces, face plants, and blurts out something?

Posted

 

 

Do all swear words count as profanity? Or is it the F, P B & C bombs only?

Tucker, it depends on the level. In youth ball, I'm ejecting for any swear word, at any volume.

 

Do you mean that if direted at you, or heard at all?  Kid catches his cleats in his laces, face plants, and blurts out something?

 

Last night, I had an assistant coach use a certain word (just me, HC, and him there) before the game. I tell him that if he says that during the game, he's done. Nobody else heard what was said.

 

I did need to clear a basketball court near my ball field 2 weeks ago because someone said F*** that loud enough for me to hear. HTHC told them to get out. (Later found out that he's retired BCoPD (Baltimore County Police).)

×
×
  • Create New...