Jump to content
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4883 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Recommended Posts

Posted

One of our leagues has been having major issues with this one particular team/coaches week in and week out.  They run rampant over our less experienced umpires and other teams are threatening not to come back next season if they do.

 

(Please don't get me started about how the league needs to take care of this.  That's a whole other story to be told with a 6-pack!)

 

Anyway, I was specifically assigned to this game to "Clean House" or whatever it took to ensure that they knew who is really in charge.  The "rope" was to be non-existent and ejections should have been plenty.

 

Game went off without a hitch and honestly, they were borderline perfect and could have been considered model coaches for the league. 

 

I have decided that it was due to my stellar Game Management!  Not the fact that they scored 7 in the top of the first and never looked back until we hit the run-rule!

 

Oh well, it was fun though!!

Posted

Suggest you get assigned to a game of theirs with a more competitive team.  Then see what happens.

Posted

Suggest you get assigned to a game of theirs with a more competitive team.  Then see what happens.

Or, have a sit down with these less expeierenced guys, tell them what to do and exactly how much to take. Then, have a few board members at the game and wait for the potential firework show to start. Basically, make your weak links strong.

Posted

 

Suggest you get assigned to a game of theirs with a more competitive team.  Then see what happens.

Or, have a sit down with these less expeierenced guys, tell them what to do and exactly how much to take. Then, have a few board members at the game and wait for the potential firework show to start. Basically, make your weak links strong.

 

Good suggestion.

 

To build on that: after meeting with your umpires, have your weak links come watch you when you have this team in a game (and a competitive team).  When the potential fireworks occur, they see the story unfold properly.

Posted

 

 

Suggest you get assigned to a game of theirs with a more competitive team.  Then see what happens.

Or, have a sit down with these less expeierenced guys, tell them what to do and exactly how much to take. Then, have a few board members at the game and wait for the potential firework show to start. Basically, make your weak links strong.

 

Good suggestion.

 

To build on that: after meeting with your umpires, have your weak links come watch you when you have this team in a game (and a competitive team).  When the potential fireworks occur, they see the story unfold properly.

 

Well.... The BOD doesn't want to deal with it, that's why it went down this way.  I think at this point, they would rather have the ejections and not have to be the bad guy themselves.

Posted

Word might have got out before the game that there was a new sheriff in town.

Maybe, but I doubt it. The fact that they're up by 7 in the first probably kept the peace.

Posted

 

Word might have got out before the game that there was a new sheriff in town.

Maybe, but I doubt it. The fact that they're up by 7 in the first probably kept the peace.

 

I would love to think so, but doubtful.  I do alot of games in this league every week but just never had that team yet.  So it wasn't like they were seeing someone they never have before.

Posted

Suggest you get assigned to a game of theirs with a more competitive team.  Then see what happens.

Or, have a sit down with these less expeierenced guys, tell them what to do and exactly how much to take. Then, have a few board members at the game and wait for the potential firework show to start. Basically, make your weak links strong.

Good suggestion.

 

To build on that: after meeting with your umpires, have your weak links come watch you when you have this team in a game (and a competitive team).  When the potential fireworks occur, they see the story unfold properly.

Well.... The BOD doesn't want to deal with it, that's why it went down this way.  I think at this point, they would rather have the ejections and not have to be the bad guy themselves.

IMO, the weaker/less experienced guys still need to do it. Let this coach know that he can't intimidate them. For example, I had a kid last year who always caught crap and gave to much rope. About midway through the season we sat down and I explained to him what is and isn't exceptable. His next game, he got three coaches in one play. No problems what so ever after that.

  • Like 1
Posted

I've been in that position of "We are having problems with this guy or that guy" and asked to show up and ump a game. What I found is pussy cats. When they think they have a guy who is poor on the rules, they use it. My guys needed to study harder. So we met once a month for 2 hours in the off season and this year, it's been quiet.

Make sure your guys know the rules. Drill it into them. If they only retain 10% every meeting, they need 10 meetings to get it all. :rollinglaugh:

  • Like 1
Posted

Several years ago I was the UIC of a 16/19 league. I was having trouble getting guys to work because they said the kids and coaches were out of control. My answer was simply why are they out of control? There was never a problem when I worked, why were they having problems. I told them to simply throw problems, the league would back them. I assured them that if you dump one or two, the rest get in line. And that was exactly what happened. They dumped a couple of the bigger problems and the problems ceased. My premise was things were out of control because they allowed it. If they don't take care of business, it just gets worse. 

Posted

Eject them at the pregame meeting . Good evening coach , you're ejected ! 

Posted

Hey... last nite we had a team winning 6-1 bottom 5th that we had to toss 2 rats for comments that the plate umpire was screwing them and they always get screwed when they come here. The game was going great until that started. The losing coach was even commenting about good calls that he was on the losing end of!

 

We threw 2 out and then everyone and everything was peachy!

 

Truth is: They don't own you and your not their dog!

  • Like 2
Posted

Several years ago I was the UIC of a 16/19 league. I was having trouble getting guys to work because they said the kids and coaches were out of control. My answer was simply why are they out of control? There was never a problem when I worked, why were they having problems. I told them to simply throw problems, the league would back them. I assured them that if you dump one or two, the rest get in line. And that was exactly what happened. They dumped a couple of the bigger problems and the problems ceased. My premise was things were out of control because they allowed it. If they don't take care of business, it just gets worse. 

100 monkeys

Posted

 

Several years ago I was the UIC of a 16/19 league. I was having trouble getting guys to work because they said the kids and coaches were out of control. My answer was simply why are they out of control? There was never a problem when I worked, why were they having problems. I told them to simply throw problems, the league would back them. I assured them that if you dump one or two, the rest get in line. And that was exactly what happened. They dumped a couple of the bigger problems and the problems ceased. My premise was things were out of control because they allowed it. If they don't take care of business, it just gets worse. 

100 monkeys

 

Exactly what I was thinking!

Posted

 

 

Several years ago I was the UIC of a 16/19 league. I was having trouble getting guys to work because they said the kids and coaches were out of control. My answer was simply why are they out of control? There was never a problem when I worked, why were they having problems. I told them to simply throw problems, the league would back them. I assured them that if you dump one or two, the rest get in line. And that was exactly what happened. They dumped a couple of the bigger problems and the problems ceased. My premise was things were out of control because they allowed it. If they don't take care of business, it just gets worse. 

100 monkeys

 

Exactly what I was thinking!

 

Just kill one!

Posted

 

 

 

Several years ago I was the UIC of a 16/19 league. I was having trouble getting guys to work because they said the kids and coaches were out of control. My answer was simply why are they out of control? There was never a problem when I worked, why were they having problems. I told them to simply throw problems, the league would back them. I assured them that if you dump one or two, the rest get in line. And that was exactly what happened. They dumped a couple of the bigger problems and the problems ceased. My premise was things were out of control because they allowed it. If they don't take care of business, it just gets worse. 

100 monkeys

 

Exactly what I was thinking!

 

Just kill one!

 

And the rest will take notice!

×
×
  • Create New...