Jump to content
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4979 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Recommended Posts

Posted

http://umpire-empire.com/index.php/page/index.html/_/equipment/2013-out-awards

 

This has been a project I have had in mind for a long time and with the help of a group of our members here Umpire-Empire has created the 1st Annual Outstanding Umpire Tools (OUT) Awards to recognize the best of what is available to us.

 

I hope you enjoy and look forward to your comments.

  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
Posted

This sounds alot like the "UMPY" awards at midwestump blogspot done by Pete Reiser each year. As he has fallen off the grid and his site is now by invitation only which to my knowledge no one has, this sounds like a good replacement. 

 

As part of the annual awards, he would also create reviews and side by side comparisons including specifications. I know that I used to find this info. very valuable when deciding on new equipment. 

 

My only advice, if the UE is going to do it....take the time to do it right.

Posted

This sounds alot like the "UMPY" awards at midwestump blogspot done by Pete Reiser each year. As he has fallen off the grid and his site is now by invitation only which to my knowledge no one has, this sounds like a good replacement. 

 

As part of the annual awards, he would also create reviews and side by side comparisons including specifications. I know that I used to find this info. very valuable when deciding on new equipment. 

 

My only advice, if the UE is going to do it....take the time to do it right.

 

The UMPY awards were one of my inspirations, but I wanted to expand beyond just items I had personal experience with and I wanted to get some input from some of the true junkies, as well as some others. I also wanted to get feedback from the manufacturers if possible. 

 

 

Stay tuned a new revamped reviews section is coming to U-E in the not too distant future.

 Well what did you think of the article???

 

http://umpire-empire.com/index.php/page/index.html/_/equipment/2013-out-awards

Posted

Two big enthusiastic thumbs up for doing the first annual OUT Awards.  Like many, I looked forward to the annual UMPY Awards that came out each fall, I appreciated the equipment comparisons and thoughtful reviews of Pete Reiser, and was sad to see him and his blogspot go off the grid.  I sure hope it was not on account of health issues.

 

Your list looks good.  I own and use several of the "winners" and will undoubtedly try some of the others on the list, as I know the ones I do have are simply awesome products.  As an umpire, I do have to call it as I see it, and I must raise my eyebrows if not question why you felt compelled to promote one of the two principal retailers over the other.  My experiences with both Ump-Attire and Honig's have all been spectacular.  Both businesses give a level of customer service and support that surpasses all the others.  Both are unquestionably A+++ businesses.  I've been a customer of both and will remain a customer of both.  I understand why Ump-Attire gets plugged a lot by those who run this website, but making "Best Retailer" one of the original categories??  Come now.  That was a little over the top.  I've bought a mask and bags and other things from Ump-Attire, and have received superb customer service.  I've purchased clothing, shoes, and many other items from Honig's and have likewise received outstanding customer service.  I also like the guy at Cat-Sports.net.  He has a more limited selection, but he's also a class act from start to finish.  I just don't think it was intellectually honest of you to make your personal preference selection of "Best Retailer" one of the categories along the lines of "Best Base Shoes," "Best Chest Protector," etc.  That is most definitely a foul.

 

But, in general, Touchette!!  Hope you will do more, as well as do some product comparisons, and am looking forward to your thoughtful list being an annual event.

Posted

Two big enthusiastic thumbs up for doing the first annual OUT Awards.  Like many, I looked forward to the annual UMPY Awards that came out each fall, I appreciated the equipment comparisons and thoughtful reviews of Pete Reiser, and was sad to see him and his blogspot go off the grid.  I sure hope it was not on account of health issues.

 

Your list looks good.  I own and use several of the "winners" and will undoubtedly try some of the others on the list, as I know the ones I do have are simply awesome products.  As an umpire, I do have to call it as I see it, and I must raise my eyebrows if not question why you felt compelled to promote one of the two principal retailers over the other.  My experiences with both Ump-Attire and Honig's have all been spectacular.  Both businesses give a level of customer service and support that surpasses all the others.  Both are unquestionably A+++ businesses.  I've been a customer of both and will remain a customer of both.  I understand why Ump-Attire gets plugged a lot by those who run this website, but making "Best Retailer" one of the original categories??  Come now.  That was a little over the top.  I've bought a mask and bags and other things from Ump-Attire, and have received superb customer service.  I've purchased clothing, shoes, and many other items from Honig's and have likewise received outstanding customer service.  I also like the guy at Cat-Sports.net.  He has a more limited selection, but he's also a class act from start to finish.  I just don't think it was intellectually honest of you to make your personal preference selection of "Best Retailer" one of the categories along the lines of "Best Base Shoes," "Best Chest Protector," etc.  That is most definitely a foul.

 

But, in general, Touchette!!  Hope you will do more, as well as do some product comparisons, and am looking forward to your thoughtful list being an annual event.

 

 

I honestly anticipated there would be some similar reaction to Ump-Attire.com winning the category. I even asked the rest of our panel about including this category in the award list because of the appearance of impropriety.  But the group felt that it was an important category. I personally abstained from voting in categories where Ump-Attire.com or one of their exclusive products was a nominee. This is one of the reasons I wanted to go with a panel instead of me bloviating with my 2 cents. 

 

Two products (Dry-Lo ball bags from Force 3/ Jim Evans & Honig's Poly-Wool pants) available exclusively form Umpire-Empire's partner's competitors won awards. I reached out to both Jim Evans & Aaron at Honig's and offered them the opportunity to respond which they were kind enough to respond and participate. 

 

There were 2 categories where the panel couldn't reach a consensus and I had to make a executive decision. I chose one product over another and told the panel my decision and why. On one product another member of the panel contacted me rebutting my result and why and I used that info to change my decision. 

 

The best I can do is acknowledge that the potential for a conflict, and give my word and assurance that all the voting was fair.

Posted

Two big enthusiastic thumbs up for doing the first annual OUT Awards.  Like many, I looked forward to the annual UMPY Awards that came out each fall, I appreciated the equipment comparisons and thoughtful reviews of Pete Reiser, and was sad to see him and his blogspot go off the grid.  I sure hope it was not on account of health issues.

 

Your list looks good.  I own and use several of the "winners" and will undoubtedly try some of the others on the list, as I know the ones I do have are simply awesome products.  As an umpire, I do have to call it as I see it, and I must raise my eyebrows if not question why you felt compelled to promote one of the two principal retailers over the other.  My experiences with both Ump-Attire and Honig's have all been spectacular.  Both businesses give a level of customer service and support that surpasses all the others.  Both are unquestionably A+++ businesses.  I've been a customer of both and will remain a customer of both.  I understand why Ump-Attire gets plugged a lot by those who run this website, but making "Best Retailer" one of the original categories??  Come now.  That was a little over the top.  I've bought a mask and bags and other things from Ump-Attire, and have received superb customer service.  I've purchased clothing, shoes, and many other items from Honig's and have likewise received outstanding customer service.  I also like the guy at Cat-Sports.net.  He has a more limited selection, but he's also a class act from start to finish.  I just don't think it was intellectually honest of you to make your personal preference selection of "Best Retailer" one of the categories along the lines of "Best Base Shoes," "Best Chest Protector," etc.  That is most definitely a foul.

 

But, in general, Touchette!!  Hope you will do more, as well as do some product comparisons, and am looking forward to your thoughtful list being an annual event.

Why is it always in the profession, where we can never please half the people on the field, in the stands, in the broadcast booth...that when it comes to supporting our brother and sister umpires, we are our own worst nightmare?

 

To accuse a fellow umpire of being failing to be "intellectually honest," especially an umpire who has given this world what I think is the best umpire website ever invented, is, to me, the same as accusing them of lacking integrity. 

 

We all know what an umpire should do to someone questioning their integrity...

 

Warren, you were in a tough spot, and I know you did the right thing.  Remind me never to work with someone who doesn't respect their partners...oh, wait, I'm retired...LOL

×
×
  • Create New...