Jump to content
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 5800 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Recommended Posts

Posted

I am currently the Information Officer and UIC for Moreno Valley Little League in California.

This is my 3rd year as Info Officer during which time I created the website, created a hotline that enables communication with MVLL members via SMS messaging, implemented an all-call system, and initiated several other media campaigns intended to increase membership. Our membership has grown from 128 to 400 in those 3 years.

This is my first year as UIC. I coached my two sons for 6 years and my daughter for 2 years. Spring 2011 will be the first year I have not managed a team. But I have learned during this last Fall season that being UIC and a team manager are not compatible. So I have decided to focus full time on implementing a volunteer umpire program at MVLL. During this first year, I have learned that doing this job properly will require a lot of work and dedication. I want to do everything I can to make the umpire program at MVLL successful.

My goal is to re-learn the rules in a way that allows me to serve as an interpreter and teacher. I have learned that the rule book reads much differently depending if I am a manager or an umpire. I have no problem admitting when I do not know or understand something. It means I have something to learn, and that is my overall goal.

Secondarily, I would like to umpire at the HS level starting in 2012. I plan on getting as much experience as possible in that year before I attempt the move.

I spent more time learning on another board, but the problem is that I learn by asking some very dumb questions sometimes. Asking dumb questions doesn't always go over very well on that board, so a friend told me to try this board and said that everyone is very professional and courteous.

Since becoming an umpire I have realized that I REALLY enjoy it. Each time I learn something, I enjoy it even more.

Stephen Dix

MVLL UIC

  • Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted

Welcome Steve.

See you at our pre-game meeting tonight.

:bang:

Steve has put in a lot of hard work this, now, past Fall Ball season.

I have assisted him with his Jr Umpire program.

Two of the hardest working Jr Umps in the program are his sons.

I wold work a Jr Game with Camron, and a Major game with Carter anytime.

The others have also made great improvement this season.

We will get them back out there after the holidays and conduct more clinics before the 2011 season starts.

Keep up the hard work Steve. :hi5:

Posted

Welcome Steve.

I will never say there's no such thing as a dumb question, see any post by critter at any site.. :bang:

But a question with honest intent is never dumb.

Thanks for joining.

Posted

Welcome to the site, it's a pretty good place to learn this crazy business. Do you have a copy of the RIM? Nothing is better to help understand LL rules than the RIM.

Posted

Welcome to the site, it's a pretty good place to learn this crazy business. Do you have a copy of the RIM? Nothing is better to help understand LL rules than the RIM.

Thanks all for the welcome.

I found a 2007 LL RIM on a couple other LL sites earlier. I joined the Western Region Umpire group at Kyle's suggestion and found the 2010 RIM in their library yesterday.

I now have nearly every title mentioned on these forums. Just waiting on BRD as it is not available on Carl's site right now. He says he won't publish it until after the January meetings.

Funny Story -

Last night I was in C and a hard line drive came right at my chest. I barely got out of the way (flatfooted, never again). But, in that split second, I flashed back to this post from mstaylor and I swear I had the correct rule and mechanics for Umpire's Interference in my head before the ball wizzed by.

Quote from mstaylor

I don't know that it's inexcusable to be hit in the infield, that happens. It's inexcusable to not know the ruling when it happens.

I thought, "If I get hit here, I'm calling TIME and placing BR at 1B and holding R2 at 2B BEFORE my back hits the infield grass."

I avoided the ball, but secretly I was a little disappointed.

Posted

It's amazing how your mind works and why people have no idea all the things that happen on a field affects what we do and how many levels we have to think on to rule correctly. IT is why Stan(PIAA) and I have lamented many times that we wish we had had boards like this available to us when we started. We would have progressed much faster and reached a higher level sooner, but instead we had to bumble our way for a number of years until we found training to actually learn our craft. This is why we take the teaching of newer guys in our groups and on the internet so seriously. If we can make the newer guys aware of situations and their rulings before it blows up on them it saves them years of getting it wrong before learning correctly.

Good job on both thinking fast enough to have it in your head and still be able to keep from getting killed. :bang: Both are important skills.

Posted

Thanks all for the welcome.

I found a 2007 LL RIM on a couple other LL sites earlier. I joined the Western Region Umpire group at Kyle's suggestion and found the 2010 RIM in their library yesterday.

I now have nearly every title mentioned on these forums. Just waiting on BRD as it is not available on Carl's site right now. He says he won't publish it until after the January meetings.

Funny Story -

Last night I was in C and a hard line drive came right at my chest. I barely got out of the way (flatfooted, never again). But, in that split second, I flashed back to this post from mstaylor and I swear I had the correct rule and mechanics for Umpire's Interference in my head before the ball wizzed by.

Quote from mstaylor

I thought, "If I get hit here, I'm calling TIME and placing BR at 1B and holding R2 at 2B BEFORE my back hits the infield grass."

I avoided the ball, but secretly I was a little disappointed.

You just did avoid getting hit by that ball. :D

Watch that waist line doesn't get any bigger in the off-season.

IMHO Your making excellent progress. :blah

Posted

Watch that waist line doesn't get any bigger in the off-season.

My waist line never gets bigger it's those damn pants which always shrink when I put them away for the winter.


×
×
  • Create New...