Jump to content
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 5870 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

u14 Fall ball.

Pretty laid back league, ...learning type league. 2 man system, Saturday double headers. Playing w/ fed slide rule, ...avoid contact.

So, I'm Bu, R2. Passed ball, ....R2 heads for third, ...with no one else on and me hearing the runner going, I get in closer to 3rd, I see F2 grab the ball quickly and go to fire to 3rd. I'm about 10 ft from 3rd....

Well, the runner is beat by the throw by a mile, and the runner stays standing, and somehow, F5 MISSES the tag by about 6", R2 kind of dodges the tag while only being about 2 ft from the bag, I still don't know how F5 missed him.

I approach 3rd, signaling safe, and verbalizing "No, no , no, he's safe, there's NO tag there!" F5 drops his head in disgust with himself, the 3rd base coach applauds his runner.

Out of the corner of my eye, the DC is talking to the PU!?;) Then he signals for me to come to him, which I do. He says to me: "Jeff, coach is saying that the ball beat him, and he didn't slide or surrender." I said, "true, there was no tag, and he avoided contact, he's safe." He said, "ok, that's fine with me, I just wanted to let you know what he said, and I said I'd ask you." I say, 'no problem'. PU signals 'safe' to the DC.

Well, the DC looks at me once he sees the PU signal safe, and says, "can I ask you a question? I should have come to you in the first place I guess" ....I say, "sure coach, what do you have for me?" He says, ...."Ok, ...the ball beat him there" I say, "true", and he says, ...."and the runner didn't slide or surrender", ....again, I say, "true", and then he says, "and on top of it, isnt'he out of the baseline?" :spit:

I say, ..."here's how it happened coach" (keeping in mind, he's being very civil and low-key): "The tag missed him by this much, I promise (I showed him with my hands)", he says, "OK" ....I say, ......."he does NOT have to slide, that's not the rule, he avoided contact, and he's fine. And, ...he was only a leg stretch away from 3rd, ..he's not out of the baseline." Defeated, the DC say, ..."ok, fine" ...and walks away.

Next pitch, pop-out, inning over.

Well, much to my dismay, ..here comes the DC again to talk. Since he was cordial in the beginning, I decide to hear him out, as also, he's got a smile on his face....

He says, ..."hey, I'm sorry about that, I should have come to YOU when the play happened, and I just don't understand the 'slide' rule we play under because we always tell our kids "slide or surrender" so I assume that's the 'rule' ...and I know that that isn't right. So, sorry about that" And as he's saying this , he's reaching out to shake my hand in an apologetic manner!:notworthy:

THAT'S never happened!!! ;)

Sometimes, it's just about "discussing" the issues and it all works out fine! ;)

Sorry for the lengthy "no big deal" story, but I thought it was humorous...

ON EDIT: This could also be discussed in the "most unknown rules" thread ;)

Edited by Thunderheads
  • Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted

Thats what makes Fall ball so great some times. I had a similar experience where the acting coach came out to discuss a DK3. He really did not understand the rule and somewhat confused for the purpose of it. After our discussion he called his yound team together and explained the rule to them and rational behind it.


×
×
  • Create New...