Jump to content
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 5913 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Recommended Posts

Posted

I usually don't put to much credence into the post game "You did a great job Blue" from coaches.

Yesterday I worked 3 13U Games for USSSA Western World Series.

Worked games with teams from Oregon, Arizona and a Local Team.

Had plate for Game 1 OR vs Az and Game 2 Az vs Local Team.

Oregon won 1st game, Local Team won 2nd game. Az lost both.

As soon as last out was made in Game 2, partner heads to parking lot to get plate gear on for game 3.

Oregon manager stops me as I am leaving the field and asks if we will start on time. I say yes, will be back in 10 minutes to start, just have to get plate gear off as partner and I are changing positions. He says, I was hoping you were staying on the plate, your calls were very consistent and had a good zone.

While getting out of plate gear, Az manager who had lost both games and was parked a few spaces over came over to me while I was changing.

He comes up and says Lou, appreciate your work. You were very consistent and had a great zone. Thanks for the great job and shook my hand.

My partner was right there finishing getting his plate gear on.

He then thanks my partner for the great job on the bases.

My partner for the day was someone who has been and still does mentor me.

I owe him a lot. He is also my assignor for Adult Ball and Legion Ball and has recommended me for several assignments.

While walking back in I tell him the Oregon manager had also complimented me and wanted me on the plate.

He replies you deserve it and that I did do a great job and was very pleased with the reports he was getting back from the leagues he assigns for.

We complete the 3rd game with him on the dish and me on the bases.

Oregon beat our local team 6-5.

As we are leaving the field the Oregon manager again thanks us for calling a good game and tells his players "Give the Blues a round of applause guys".

All the players start :clap: and saying good game blue.

As my partner and I are walking back to the parking lot, we shake hands and agree we had a great day and a lot of fun. :cheers:

We didn't get a peep from any where on any of our calls, not even on a ball or a strike.

Our on field communication/signaling was on and we did not miss a rotation.

Including a drive down the RF line with no runners.

Partner goes out, I pick up BR and take him all the way into 3rd for a stand up triple.

Who is at HP, my partner. :clap: Perfect rotation. :clap:

Also had R1 attempt to steal 2B. Throw comes down and it is close. I wait for the dust to clear, F6 comes up showing me his glove and I punch the runner out.

Between innings I confer with my partner and he says that was a great call on the steal. He said I though I was watching a California League Umpire. Your timing and mechanic were great. :D

The games were great and there were probably 5 or 6 plays that were highlight reel material.

We worked on a replica field of Forbes Field and the fence is like 320.

One hard, high hit ball to left center, landed on the warning track and bounced over the wall which is about 15 foot high. Nice shot for a 13 year old.

Felt good to get the same compliment from the manager of the team who went 2-0 as well as from the manager who went 0-2 for the day. Especially when these teams have traveled the distances they did to play in this week long tournament.

Yesterday will go down as being one of my favorite days on the diamond.

Who says umpiring is a thankless unsatisfying job? :D

  • Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted

Yesterday will go down as being one of my favorite days on the diamond.

Who says umpiring is a thankless unsatisfying job? :D

Not me!..............the satisfaction of a well officiated game is one of the enjoyments I do this job for.....

Good Baseball

Good Teams

Good Partner

Good Game

Thats what Im talking about.....:cheers:.

Posted

Semper Fi, Kudos to both of you. Hope that warm fuzzy carries you through when you get 2 giant rodents. Perked my day reading your post. From your description,I would have paid good money to watch you work. Jack


×
×
  • Create New...