Jump to content
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 5944 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

I am BU for a 9U game last night. Bases loaded, 1 out. BR hits a bloop to CF that falls in for a hit. F8 tries to make a play at 2B on R1 who was 1/2 way, his throw is off a bit and our new R1 rounds 2B. As the ball comes back to 2B to try and get that runner I am following the ball. Just before the tag is applied to R1 R2 comes into my peripheral vision from the 3B side and "reverse passes" R1 :yippie::):bang:who gets tagged after this pass. R2 then turns around, runs the right way and reaches 3B safely in all this confusion caused by the 3B coach telling the runners what to do.

DC calls time when play is over and lobbies for another out.

DC: "Blue the runners crossed"

Me: "Yes they did coach"

DC: "So we have an out"

Me: "Yes I had an out coach"

DC: "But the runners crossed"

Me: "And the runner rounding 2nd was out coach"

DC: "But what about the other runner Blue, he is out too"

Me: "Coach if a baserunner passes the runner in front of him he is out. That's what happened and so the trailing runner is out. The other runner went to third safely and that's where he is staying"

DC: "OK I guess so", walks back to dugout shaking head

Me: "Two outs, let's play"

Coaching ineptitude all around. I get these same teams in the playoffs today, fortunately they do not play each other in the first round.

Edited by bikerider
Make Rich Ives happy :)
  • Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted

I am BU for a 9U game last night. Bases loaded, 1 out. BR hits a bloop to CF that falls in for a hit. F8 tries to make a play at 2B on R1 who was 1/2 way, his throw is off a bit and our new R2 rounds the bag. As the ball comes back to 2B to try and get that runner I am following the ball. Just before the tag is applied to R2 the "old" R2 comes into my peripheral vision from the 3B side and "reverse passes" R2 :yippie::):bang:who gets tagged after this pass. He then turns around, runs the right way and becomes R3 in all this confusion caused by the 3B coach telling the runners what to do.

DC calls time when play is over and lobbies for another out.

DC: "Blue the runners crossed"

Me: "Yes they did coach"

DC: "So we have an out"

Me: "Yes I had an out coach"

DC: "But the runners crossed"

Me: "And the runner rounding 2nd was out coach"

DC: "But what about the other runner Blue, he is out too"

Me: "Coach if a baserunner passes the runner in front of him he is out. That's what happened and so the trailing runner is out. The other runner went to third safely and that's where he is staying"

DC: "OK I guess so", walks back to dugout shaking head

Me: "Two outs, let's play"

Coaching ineptitude all around. I get these same teams in the playoffs today, fortunately they do not play each other in the first round.

PLEASE!

There is no "old" R2 and "new" R2. Keep the designations as they were at the start of the play.

  • 2 weeks later...
Posted

bikerider,

Don't jinx me, man! I've got a 9-10 LL post-season gig as BU tomorrow night.

I'm setting the over/under for how many times I'll invoke 7.13 during the game at 4. Any takers?

  • 2 weeks later...
Posted

bikerider,

Don't jinx me, man! I've got a 9-10 LL post-season gig as BU tomorrow night.

I'm setting the over/under for how many times I'll invoke 7.13 during the game at 4. Any takers?

None.

Posted

Game was canceled - I have another of the same level tomorrow.

Maybe it's just the teams around here, but I seem to call it (w/the really young kids) at least once per game, if not more often. I think it's because for most of the season, these kids' games are being umpired by parent volunteers who don't really know the rules, or are hesitant to make calls like that, then in post-season (which is when I see them) they get umpires who know the rules and have no issues about invoking them.

I had a game three seasons ago where I called it 8 times - all on the same player! At one point, he had 5 in one inning alone. It's not that the coach was telling him to do it, he just couldn't seem to help himself. And, I'm not talking a couple of inches here - I'm talking 1 or 2 steps every time the pitcher wound up.


×
×
  • Create New...