Jump to content
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 5471 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Recommended Posts

Posted

I was PU for a 14U Pony game last weekend and before the game, one of the coaches for the visiting team introduced himself and said that he would be good. I wasn't sure why he said that, but I umpired a game for his team a few weeks prior and didn't remember any problems. Anyway, the game is going fine, but he just can't help himself in chiring about my zone. He says stuff "to his batter" that is obviously meant for me to hear. "That was high, you didn't want that one." "Don't swing at those low strikes." Anyway, it was on and off all game - nothing too bad, though I was getting to the point of giving him a "that's enough" near the end of the game, but didn't. Game ends and he tells me as I am walking off the field "You did a great job today" (and not in a sarcastic tone). I say thank you and head home.

So that was a morning game and my son is playing in a game in the afternoon and guess who the PU is for my son's game? You guessed it, Mr. "I'll be good today." Before the game (and without yet recognizing him), I walk up to him to ask if he thinks we should spray the field with some more water. During this conversation, we both recognize each other and he tells me, "I know I made a lot of comments this morning, but you did a great job out there." He proceeds to work my son's game and basically stinks up the place. Strikes called in the dirt, great looking pitches balled, balks missed, etc. Seemed like most of it actually benefited our team, but it was bad for both sides. Of course, I never say a word (except to remind him that the opposing F1 needs to take his signs from the rubber), but it now made a lot of sense why he was complaining about my zone - because his is terrible!

Anyway, just a funny case of the tables being turned. He should be thankful that I'm more of an umpire than a coach than vice versa, or I would have given him the business all game.

  • Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted

I know we should NEVER chirp at another umpire. It's just in poor taste to do it, and I've only done it once in all of the years my sons played baseball.

It was a boys seniors district championship that my eldest son was playing in. The game was tied in the bottom of the seventh inning with my sons team having runners on first and third, two outs. The opposing team's pitcher addresses the rubber in the windup position. RHP, he starts his hands up and steps back with his left foot, and spins and throws to first, picking off the runner for the third out. Nothing, not a word from the three guys working the game (all members of the LL association I belong to; none of which I have respect for), except an "out" call. I lost it, and let them know just how bad they kicked it. I felt like (and was) a complete tool after I calmed down.

Tim.

Posted

When I managed I would not chirp about strikes, even if the guy sucked. What I would do would is tell my son not to pop in front of the umpire or not to ****** pitches. If he popped I would tell him the umpire can't call strikes he can't see. It was never a slam on the umpire, it was a correction to my son and doubled as letting the umpire know that I was trying to get him as good a look as possible and that I wouldn't say anything if he wasn't getting it.


×
×
  • Create New...