1st & 2nd HS Games

Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4096 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Hi everyone.. it's been awhile since i've been here, but with all the honey-do's, studying, looking for a truck and everything else i just have not had the time to post here.

i've been going to my clinics and had my first inning during a JV scrimmage game.  TALK ABOUT NERVOUS..! (haha) during the first half of the inning, i had lead weights on my feet and i didn't move around to much, but in the bottom half i started to move. (these were two man games)

What i noticed from my second game:  i had tunnel vision.. probably because i was so nervous (at one point in the bottom half of my inning, i looked at my indicator and it was totally soaking wet due to my hands sweating so much).  at the end of my inning, both my mentor and the instructional chair in my unit said i did fine for my first inning and that my timing was spot on.

my second game was yesterday morning at 10a.. a JV scheduled 14 inning game that had 4 umpires moving in and out of dish and base.  totally innings: 6 behind the plate 6 as a base ump. 

this time i was not so nervous, and the tunnel vision went away..!  we were told that even thou there is a base umpire, the plate ump was supposed to to the single man mechanics.. i found that i was moving about correcly for calling outs at first, second and third.  also, it seemed that i could 'see' the ball much better for calling balls, and strikes.

i missed a call thou...  in the latter part of the game i'm behind the dish, where R1 is on second, B2 has 2 strikes, 1 ball, and B2 bunted, and it went foul.  yes i know the batter is out.. and stupid me.. i studied that rule on friday night.  After the ball went foul, and i did the mechinics for 'foul', the coach of the opposing team called time, which i gave him and he came out and mentioned the rule (i say mention.. because he didn't come out screaming.. instead he walked over and quietly talked about the rule).. i reversed my call, pointed to the batter, and called out "batter is out for bunting foul on second strike" then gave him the hammer.  DARN IT..!  well i won't be making that mistake again.. 

over all i thought the day went well.  starting next saturday, there will be 3 games on saturday, 4 on sunday, and 1 game monday - friday that are scrimmages.  i'll be making as many as i can to get more exposure behind the plate.

Ron-

It's especially hard when you juggle rule sets. My tourneys don't allow head first advancing slides if the runner has a face mask, chin strap, or c flap. R1 in an extended rundown. Maybe 6 or 7 throws. Can't believe no errors or infractions. Anyway, R1 slips into 2B with a beautiful hook slide a nanosecond before being tagged on his elbow. I double sell my call. Call time for R2 to brush himself off. 3BC comes out and whispers, "he slid headfirst." Oops. Great slide. You're out.

It's especially hard when you juggle rule sets. My tourneys don't allow head first advancing slides if the runner has a face mask, chin strap, or c flap. R1 in an extended rundown. Maybe 6 or 7 throws. Can't believe no errors or infractions. Anyway, R1 slips into 2B with a beautiful hook slide a nanosecond before being tagged on his elbow. I double sell my call. Call time for R2 to brush himself off. 3BC comes out and whispers, "he slid headfirst." Oops. Great slide. You're out.

I'm confused. I thought a hook slide was feet first to the outside of the bag,(away from the fielder) and the tucked leg hooking the bag with the foot.  :shrug: http://www.google.com/imgres?q=hook+slide&hl=en&biw=1024&bih=504&tbm=isch&tbnid=wY4mwYmWRIArWM:&imgrefurl=http://www.sutree.com/how-to/6075/Baseball-Baserunning--Sliding-Mechanics--Sliding-hook-slide&docid=C206FGnkiDbRqM&imgurl=http://www.sutree.com/upload/swnpcgakeabmkzgydokdy/26.JPG&w=399&h=247&ei=tNEqUaiyLPGp0AHIpoHQBA&zoom=1&ved=1t:3588,i:87&iact=rc&dur=992&sig=108852717694824648024&page=1&tbnh=177&tbnw=278&start=0&ndsp=8&tx=92&ty=77

Evidently reaching out with the hand is considered a hook slide. Never considered that. I always thought "hook" meant hooking the corner of the bag with your foot while sliding away from the tag. . I'm also wondering, is really a "head first" slide? 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_IhhCmgZvLI

Hi everyone.. it's been awhile since i've been here, but with all the honey-do's, studying, looking for a truck and everything else i just have not had the time to post here.

i've been going to my clinics and had my first inning during a JV scrimmage game.  TALK ABOUT NERVOUS..! (haha) during the first half of the inning, i had lead weights on my feet and i didn't move around to much, but in the bottom half i started to move. (these were two man games)

What i noticed from my second game:  i had tunnel vision.. probably because i was so nervous (at one point in the bottom half of my inning, i looked at my indicator and it was totally soaking wet due to my hands sweating so much).  at the end of my inning, both my mentor and the instructional chair in my unit said i did fine for my first inning and that my timing was spot on.

my second game was yesterday morning at 10a.. a JV scheduled 14 inning game that had 4 umpires moving in and out of dish and base.  totally innings: 6 behind the plate 6 as a base ump. 

this time i was not so nervous, and the tunnel vision went away..!  we were told that even thou there is a base umpire, the plate ump was supposed to to the single man mechanics.. i found that i was moving about correcly for calling outs at first, second and third.  also, it seemed that i could 'see' the ball much better for calling balls, and strikes.

i missed a call thou...  in the latter part of the game i'm behind the dish, where R1 is on second, B2 has 2 strikes, 1 ball, and B2 bunted, and it went foul.  yes i know the batter is out.. and stupid me.. i studied that rule on friday night.  After the ball went foul, and i did the mechinics for 'foul', the coach of the opposing team called time, which i gave him and he came out and mentioned the rule (i say mention.. because he didn't come out screaming.. instead he walked over and quietly talked about the rule).. i reversed my call, pointed to the batter, and called out "batter is out for bunting foul on second strike" then gave him the hammer.  DARN IT..!  well i won't be making that mistake again.. 

over all i thought the day went well.  starting next saturday, there will be 3 games on saturday, 4 on sunday, and 1 game monday - friday that are scrimmages.  i'll be making as many as i can to get more exposure behind the plate.

Ron-

Congrats, don't sweat it, it definitely happens! My first game was pretty similar...so much so that I wrote an article about it...

http://voices.yahoo.com/why-will-never-yell-umpire-again-8270297.html?cat=14

• Like 1