Jump to content
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 5598 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Recommended Posts

Posted

I had a coach ask me this today before a LL Junior game. He was short handed and was trying to put together an entire game.

Rule VI (a) under pitchers states: Any player who has played the position of catcher for 4 or more innings in a game, is not elgible to pitch on that day.

Rule VI 3. states: A pitcher who delivers 41 or more pitches in a game cannot play the position of catcher for the remainder of that day.

So his question was: Could a catcher who has caught for 3 innings, pitch for one inning and return as catcher for the final 3 innings provided he delivers less than 41 pitches during the inning he pitches.

On one hand the rules are limiting a kid from catching more than 4 innings a game and pitching as well, but on the other hand a pitcher could start a game and throw 40 pitches in one inning and catch for 6 innings.

Am I missing something here. I know some of you guys are UIC for your LL so I am asking you for help on this. Thanks,

PS. My response to him was that IMO the spirit of the rule was to keep a kid from catching( more than 4 innings ) and pitching in the same day, so I felt we should limit the catcher to only 4 innings if he pitched at all but it does seem like a contradiction in the rules.

  • Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted

I had a coach ask me this today before a LL Junior game. He was short handed and was trying to put together an entire game.

Rule VI (a) under pitchers states: Any player who has played the position of catcher for 4 or more innings in a game, is not elgible to pitch on that day.

Rule VI 3. states: A pitcher who delivers 41 or more pitches in a game cannot play the position of catcher for the remainder of that day.

So his question was: Could a catcher who has caught for 3 innings, pitch for one inning and return as catcher for the final 3 innings provided he delivers less than 41 pitches during the inning he pitches.

On one hand the rules are limiting a kid from catching more than 4 innings a game and pitching as well, but on the other hand a pitcher could start a game and throw 40 pitches in one inning and catch for 6 innings.

Am I missing something here. I know some of you guys are UIC for your LL so I am asking you for help on this. Thanks,

PS. My response to him was that IMO the spirit of the rule was to keep a kid from catching( more than 4 innings ) and pitching in the same day, so I felt we should limit the catcher to only 4 innings if he pitched at all but it does seem like a contradiction in the rules.

The answer is yes. It's a loophole.

And BTW it's not catch FOR 4 innings, it's catch IN 4 innings. As soon as he catches one pitch in the 4th inning he cannot pitch.

  • 1 month later...
Posted

is that the case in lillt eleague majors as well?

Yes it is.


×
×
  • Create New...