Infield Fly

Kyle_Stevens
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 5851 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I had an Infield Fly situation tonight. Runners on 1st and 2nd, 1 out. We had strong winds blowing from third base to first. Batter hits a fly ball, 25-30 ft high, toward F4's position. F4 was keeping the runner on 2ndat the time of the pitch. F4 was making an effort to catch the ball and the wind kept taking the ball away from him, he did not end up catching the ball. The runners advance to 3rd and 2nd and I have the runner out. Offensive coach says that it wasn't an I.F. because F4 had to make too much of an effort.

Was I wrong on this call?

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I think he didn't want the call so that he could have another runner on the bases. It was a District Championship game and he was wanting all the runner he could get. This is just my opinion. They had some momentum starting and I think he just wanted to keep it going.

Thanks for the reply!

I believe the phrase is "ordinary effort". Depending on the level you're working, that becomes a judgement call. I was working a LL-Jr game the other night and with the bases loaded the batter hit a pop up, easily high enough behind the pitchers mound. As I watched the ball reach it's apex, I noticed that none of the fielders were moving towards the ball. After the ball bounced, the pitcher picked it up and threw home for the out. I never called the IFF because it would have taken a superaltive effort to make the catch.

Both coaches accepted my explanation. If this was a higher level, there would have been no doubt about ordinary effort.