Jump to content
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1615 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

Posted

13U basically  50/70

 

Just want to make sure I am doing this right

based off the LL balk video I saw which seems to be very beloved.  Once a pitcher comes set he can do 3 things.

1.Disengage with back foot stepping behind the pitchers plate ( this makes him a fielder) 

2. step towards a base and throw the ball to that base ( certain rules pertain to faking a throw to certain bases also)

3. deliver a pitch to the plate

So here is what I observed 

Lefty pitcher comes set, then right before he starts his delivery he disengages his back foot off the pitchers plate and moves it towards 1st base then re-engages the pitchers plate and then picks his front foot up and delivers the pitch in what I would consider a normal delivery.

Is his disengaging the plate in such a manner after coming set a balk.  I took it as one due to the fact he moved his foot off the plate and put it back once set the fact he disengaged like that signifies to me he is stopping his "pitch" he should step back off the plate and then rengage and come set again before making a pitch.

IDK maybe I am over thinking that.  But to me it was purposely trying to deceive the runner.

 

2nd thing a Righty pitcher 1st time EVER pitching

Comes set and the he starts this rocking motion fwd and back sometimes 2 or 3 times some times 5 times at the point he did not do the rocking motion the very next pitch he rocked on I called a balk. 

Is the rocking motion legal?  I think it is but I think its one of those things they need to be consistent with it?  This one I am WAY out there on and I know I need some help with understanding.

Said Youtube video

  • Answers 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

2 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 0
Posted

For your lefty, if all he is doing is lifting is pivot foot up and placing it back down, he is not disengaging. In order to disengage the rubber, the pitcher must step backwards off of the rubber. Balk all day, every day. If he is properly disengaging, he must separate his hands prior to reengaging the rubber. If steps back onto the rubber with his hands together, call time and tell him not to do it. 

For your righty, a pitcher is set once all motion has stopped. Think the toe tappers, as long as something is moving, then he can keep moving. As long as he is moving, he can rock as many times as he wants and vary the number of times he rocks. Once everything has stopped, the first rock better be the start of his delivery or a pick off move. 

-Matt

  • 0
Posted
9 hours ago, DevildogUmp said:

For your lefty, if all he is doing is lifting is pivot foot up and placing it back down, he is not disengaging. In order to disengage the rubber, the pitcher must step backwards off of the rubber. Balk all day, every day. If he is properly disengaging, he must separate his hands prior to reengaging the rubber. If steps back onto the rubber with his hands together, call time and tell him not to do it. 

For your righty, a pitcher is set once all motion has stopped. Think the toe tappers, as long as something is moving, then he can keep moving. As long as he is moving, he can rock as many times as he wants and vary the number of times he rocks. Once everything has stopped, the first rock better be the start of his delivery or a pick off move. 

-Matt

Thank you I thought the lefty was doing that wrong

 

the Righty I was iffy on but I am going back thru that and well his rocking was never consistent he would come set and then start to rock, then sometimes he would be rocking and come set then stop and start the rocking again. Sometimes though I believe he actually was correct.  I only called balk on him one time for it ( at this point the game was 29-0 in the bottom of the 5th his team was up)

I warned him about the stopping and starting of his rocking but yeah I did not explain it properly.

But thank you for those pointers 


×
×
  • Create New...