Pop up Slide and FPSR

tempetoro
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1481 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

The high school book says pop up slides are legal as long as they are not "into the fielder". I take this to mean as long as there is not contact between the runner and fielder that a pop up slide during a double play attempt is legal.

I just want to make sure I am getting this rule right as a coach wanted FPSR because the runner did a pop up slide during a double play attempt. I told him pop up slides are legal as long as there is no contact.  Thanks in advance for your help gentlemen. 

10 minutes ago, tempetoro said:

The high school book says pop up slides are legal as long as they are not "into the fielder". I take this to mean as long as there is not contact between the runner and fielder that a pop up slide during a double play attempt is legal.

I just want to make sure I am getting this rule right as a coach wanted FPSR because the runner did a pop up slide during a double play attempt. I told him pop up slides are legal as long as there is no contact.  Thanks in advance for your help gentlemen. 

Well, first, let's look at an illegal slide plus your situations (highlighted)

image.png

No, let's look at FPSR:

image.png

In 8-4-2 it says OR illegally alters.  This means that there does NOT have to be contact.  So, ... could it be possible for a pop-up slide on FPSR situation to NOT be called? Yes, it's "possible".   But at the HS level, I'm going to assume more times than not, you're going to get interference by the pop-up altering the action of the fielder.  It's a judgement call.

FOR ME:   A pop up slide will be called INT for the FPSR, unless the F4 or F6 has crossed and cleared the bag after touching it.  The runner and fielder would have to be VERY apart for me NOT to call FPSR on a pop-up slide.

• Like 1