Tantrum

ricka56

Today, F2 doesn't like my ball call on a decision pitch and demonstrates his disapproval by shaking both hands (like he's about to throw a tantrum). Before I can say a word, his coach is on him, "Adam, don't do that". Then I tell Adam we can get that strike when he comes up to bat. Late in the game, I notice that Adam is leading off the inning.  And I ask him, "so, should I use your  KZ or mine" and look at him and wait for a response. "Yours" he says. "Well, we'll see", my reply. I planned on sticking with my KZ, but couldn't resist shaking him up a bit. He ends up walking on 5 pitches, with no decision pitches...lucky bastid.

• 4 months later...

SItch:  Top 6th (LL Majors).  HT behind by 1 run.  Pitcher does NOT like my zone, and he is demonstrating histrionics on each pitch!

Bottom 6th:  HT gets two runners on with 2 out.  My buddy (F1) comes to bat.  First pitch outside.  Ball.  (easy call).  Second pitch catches the corner, Strike one.  Batter steps out and gives me a really dirty look!  (Like, how come he didn't get that one as he was pitching?)  Next pitch again on the corner.  Strike two!

Batter steps out, puts the end of his bat on the ground, other hand on his hip with a really stupid look.  I encouraged him to get back into the box.  He wouldn't.  I gave him a second chance to stand in.  He would not take his position.

So the ruling went like this:  "OK smart guy!  I am awarding a directed strike.  That's strike three!  You are out.  That's three outs!  The game is over!"

I think this was better than an ejection because he and his coach would have to reconcile the fact that he--a good batter--missed the opportunity to tie or win the game, and to intellectually de-pant the kid in front of his team was a better solution!

Good news:  A year later, this same kid volunteered to be an umpire at the A, AA, and AAA levels.  I hear he did a decent job!  Good to see him walk a mile in an umpires shoes!

Mike

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/14/2019 at 1:35 PM, Vegas_Ump said:

SItch:  Top 6th (LL Majors).  HT behind by 1 run.  Pitcher does NOT like my zone, and he is demonstrating histrionics on each pitch!

Bottom 6th:  HT gets two runners on with 2 out.  My buddy (F1) comes to bat.  First pitch outside.  Ball.  (easy call).  Second pitch catches the corner, Strike one.  Batter steps out and gives me a really dirty look!  (Like, how come he didn't get that one as he was pitching?)  Next pitch again on the corner.  Strike two!

Batter steps out, puts the end of his bat on the ground, other hand on his hip with a really stupid look.  I encouraged him to get back into the box.  He wouldn't.  I gave him a second chance to stand in.  He would not take his position.

So the ruling went like this:  "OK smart guy!  I am awarding a directed strike.  That's strike three!  You are out.  That's three outs!  The game is over!"

I think this was better than an ejection because he and his coach would have to reconcile the fact that he--a good batter--missed the opportunity to tie or win the game, and to intellectually de-pant the kid in front of his team was a better solution!

Good news:  A year later, this same kid volunteered to be an umpire at the A, AA, and AAA levels.  I hear he did a decent job!  Good to see him walk a mile in an umpires shoes!

Mike

I remember this like it was yesterday!

• 1 year later...