17 inches

White47
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2565 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Great story !   I believe that I first encountered this article right here at U-E.com.   

And this small piece of the article is exactly what I had in mind when I was reading the post about the 10 year old who told his mother to "Shut up", along with similar anecdotes :

"...to educate and discipline our young people. We are allowing others to widen home plate! Where is that getting us?”

It may seem to some that I am beating a dead horse on this topic.   Fine.   I'm not concerned in the least about it.

The reason is very recent.  One of those instances where we second-guess ourselves.  One of those games where we  - after the fact - wish we had managed things better.   "I should have done _____ better."

My most recent was yesterday.    Level III (Freshmen, mainly), with an arrogant kid who was mouthing off during the game, but just skirting the edge.

I call 'Strike 2' on him in the middle of the game.   He immediately gestures and gives an incredulous look about his opinion on the pitch being wide.   My response was equally immediate:   "If you're looking for the fastest way out of this game, you just keep it up."   

Two innings (now bottom 7th) later, he's back.   Same pitch location.  Same 'Strike 2' called.   This time he takes a step back, and says just loud enough, "Well that's OK, I guess these umpires just don't like me."   

BOOM.  Mask comes off.... I call 'Time', and inform his HC (at 3B box) "This is his warning!   This stops right now!"    

I caved.   I failed here.    After the game, my partner tells me "I was sure you were going to dump him right there."    My (lame) excuse was that I had not "formally" informed the HC of our previous exchange, and so I opted for the 'official' warning instead.   Major cop out on my part.  I should have dumped him in a New York minute.  But I didn't.   I failed.  

If he's 15 years old and getting away with this sort of behavior,  I guess we shouldn't be surprised when he expect to get away with all manner of things when he's 25, 35, etc.   

End of rant.

• Like 1

My suggestion, at first comment, "Knock it off, now!"

If the second comment bothered you that much, dump him.  Personally, I think I would have kind of ignored it.

The only ejections you regret are the ones you don't get that you should have.