Tips for a first timer

Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2888 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I will be going to CDP for the first time during week 4 (June 25-July 1). I originally played there back in 2009 (would never have thought that I would go back as an umpire). I am 19 years old so I am already expecting to be one of the youngest, if not the youngest umpire there. I am being sponsored by a team and I have faxed the umpire resume found on the CDP website already. 

I see a couple of posts about people getting their packets? What is that and when can I expect that when I submitted my resume a couple of days ago?

Apart from gear and uniforms, what do I need to bring? I will be flying so this probably changes things. 

Speaking of flying, I will be flying into Syracuse on the 24th and leaving later in the evening on the first. 

I've seen some posts about politcs and to stay away from it. What kind of politics? Who should be the next POTUS or which teams are good and which aren't? 

• Like 1

CDP sends out a packet of information which includes an umpire resume that you need to fill out and send in.  If you don't receive yours within the next week or two, you could call them and ask about it.  There are also maps of the complex and information about skills competitions, rules, schedules, etc.  

There is also a list of things to bring.  My big suggestion is an extension cord and a small fan (or get one at WM once you're there).  I bring one that clips onto the side of the bed.  Might want to bring a light blanket - the nights get rather chilly.  You might even want to bring earplugs - I've heard there are some guys who snore like a freight train back there!

I fly into Syracuse as well.  There are some things that I don't bring because I don't want to bring more than I have to. There is a Dollar General about a mile from the park and a Wal-Mart about 15 minutes away.  Those are things like cleaner for my shoes and some bottled drinks for the week (I get tired of water and red Gatorade).

Since you're 19, I'm guessing you can't rent a car.  Do you have a way to get to CDP?

Politics?  That's guys who sit around and try to figure out why someone got a certain game and they didn't.  Why one guy gets to work on a webcam field and they don't.  Why one guy gets a good crew vs. bad crew.  No big deal.  Just come to umpire and have fun.  You'll meet a lot of great people.

• Like 1

CDP sends out a packet of information which includes an umpire resume that you need to fill out and send in.  If you don't receive yours within the next week or two, you could call them and ask about it.  There are also maps of the complex and information about skills competitions, rules, schedules, etc.  

There is also a list of things to bring.  My big suggestion is an extension cord and a small fan (or get one at WM once you're there).  I bring one that clips onto the side of the bed.  Might want to bring a light blanket - the nights get rather chilly.  You might even want to bring earplugs - I've heard there are some guys who snore like a freight train back there!

I fly into Syracuse as well.  There are some things that I don't bring because I don't want to bring more than I have to. There is a Dollar General about a mile from the park and a Wal-Mart about 15 minutes away.  Those are things like cleaner for my shoes and some bottled drinks for the week (I get tired of water and red Gatorade).

Since you're 19, I'm guessing you can't rent a car.  Do you have a way to get to CDP?

Politics?  That's guys who sit around and try to figure out why someone got a certain game and they didn't.  Why one guy gets to work on a webcam field and they don't.  Why one guy gets a good crew vs. bad crew.  No big deal.  Just come to umpire and have fun.  You'll meet a lot of great people.

Fortunately, I know another umpire that will be up there the same time I will be and he will be picking me up from the airport.

Thanks for the info!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Umpirechick1 said:

@Umpirechick1 got stuck with me on her crew last year in week 1, so she had a bad crew. :)

@wtompkins, I know this crazy umpire that is absolutely nuts that will be up there in week 4.  Hangs out in the Peaches cabin.  

It tells me you don't have kids, or perhaps a wife (or one that wants to have the house to herself) and that you either have a job that has the summers off, retired, independently wealthy, or have no job.  You are from New York so the weird weather is more normal for you.  

13 minutes ago, Umpirechick1 said:

That is true - I did say that @ZebraStripes.

I will also say that I don't have a wife, I have 2 kids but they're grown, I teach so I have summers off, and I do wish that was independently wealthy. :)

I wish I was independently wealthy as well, but alas, no where near it.