Jump to content
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 5656 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Recommended Posts

Posted

I was a dad in the stands for this game, but the situation will prove educational for me.

Game situation:

DYB Minors game. 1 out, runner on 1st. Batter looks at a ball, but the pitch gets by F2. 1BC instructs R1 to run to 2nd base, but F2's throw to F4 is wide and zooms into the outfield. Of course, everyone in the stands is yelling and in the commotion, batter think he's being instructed to run to first, so he drops his bat and does. When the on-deck batter sees batter run to first, he moves to the batter's box. The play is still going on. R1 has since been instructed to round third and head for home. Throw from outfield to F2, again, is well wide of the mark and there really is no play at home. But because the new batter has moved to the batter's box, Umpire rules runner out because of interference. No run scored. Of course, there's no penalty for the batter; he simply returns to finish his at-bat.

As I read the rule, interference has to impede a defensive player from making a play on the runner. Since there was no play, I could be talked into a no-interference call. But something must be said of the new batter heading to the box while the play is still going on. In the heat of the game, I'm pretty sure I would have made the same call the Umpire did. But thinking through the scenario afterward has my mind going back and forth.

Like I said, I was a dad in the stands but because I'm new to umpiring, I'm watching the Umpire as much as I am the game so I can learn.

  • Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted

No play (or even attempted play) = no interference. What did this confused on-deck batter interfere with? If he hindered the defensive players, then you may have a case. But especially at the lower levels, I'm not calling a kid out if he's not getting in the middle of things. Now, explaining that he needs to stay away from any potential plays seems like a good idea, but calling out the runner for his non-interference is too much.

DYB stands for what - Dixie Youth Ball? How old are your minors?

Posted

DYB stands for what - Dixie Youth Ball? How old are your minors?

Yes, DYB = Dixie Youth Baseball. Minors level plays kids 10 and under.

As I thought through the play afterward, your line of reasoning is what I settled on. But in the heat of the battle I may have called it like the umpire did. Technically, the on-deck batter interfered with nothing because the throw wasn't anywhere close. Umpire's reasoning was that he interfered with the runner, but then that puts the runner at a disadvantage and if he scored anyway, seems like he earned it. My final decision is give the kid the run and teach the on-deck batter when to proceed to the box.

Posted

Sounds like nothing more than a teaching moment for the players. I assume the batter shouldn't have gone to first, so gets instruction on how many balls and how many strikes there are. The on deck gets instruction on staying out of the mix during a live play. Other than that I have nothing.

Posted

Sounds like a learning moment for the Umpire too! Plus if your a Dad in the stands and you get to see some things unwind on the field it may just save you the experience of having to learn the hard way.

Interference is a very deep subject in the rules of baseball, and there are many variations on the theme of how it applies in many different situations. Many moons ago it was a tricky Int. call that first got me to understand how important it was to study more than just a rule book when it came to understanding my role as an umpire. At the level your talking about here though, a young kid almost has to reach out and smack you with something before you make that call. As they get older and the skills improve you will start to see and understand the differences.


×
×
  • Create New...