What to do when the season ends?

ElkOil
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3207 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I know what you're thinking.  "Gee, the summer's getting along now, and pretty soon my baseball schedule is gonna be pretty light.  What will I do with myself besides dream of next spring?"

Well, friends, I've got the solution.  Why not give your eyes something fun to do when they're not looking at balls and strikes and read my new novel?  If you like a non-formulaic fictional work, this might just be your thing.

http://www.amazon.com/Far-Better-Thing/dp/1514835282/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1437323407&sr=1-1&keywords=a+far+far+better+thing

Thanks!

Do Football, Volleyball, and Basketball.   That'll keep you busy (and what I do).  :blink:

Me too, though I dropped volleyball when one of the 2 guys I enjoyed working with passed away. The others are all creepers and volleyball nerds.

Tempted to post the link to my new book, which came out in April and has sold at least 3 copies to date. But it's nonfiction, which means not entertaining in the off season.

Me too, though I dropped volleyball when one of the 2 guys I enjoyed working with passed away. The others are all creepers and volleyball nerds.

Tempted to post the link to my new book, which came out in April and has sold at least 3 copies to date. But it's nonfiction, which means not entertaining in the off season.

Post the link, please!  

I read non-fiction...

Official Baseball Rules...NCAA Rules...NFHS Rules...and Playboy (just for the articles.  Of course, I'm just kidding on this one...)

But, by no means am I a rules expert.

I read non-fiction...

Official Baseball Rules...NCAA Rules...NFHS Rules...and Playboy (just for the articles.  Of course, I'm just kidding on this one...)

But, by no means am I a rules expert.

You're kidding about the articles or about the publication?

You're kidding about the articles or about the publication?

I'm kidding about Playboy, yes.  I do not subscribe.

My feeble attempt at humor...

Edited by UmpJeff

My last game was July 14th. When the season ends I'm usually ready for it to end and have more free time to pursue my other summer interests. I fish, play a little golf, and take my vacation somewhere with the wife. Once November rolls around I'll start officiating basketball, which I actually enjoy more than umpiring. 

My last game was July 14th. When the season ends I'm usually ready for it to end and have more free time to pursue my other summer interests. I fish, play a little golf, and take my vacation somewhere with the wife. Once November rolls around I'll start officiating basketball, which I actually enjoy more than umpiring. 

Yeah, but do you enjoy a good read?

Yeah, but do you enjoy a good read?

Absolutely. In fact I have just started "A Universe From Nothing" by Lawrence Krauss. An interesting attempt at scientifically explaining the age old question of how this all came to be out of nothing.

Absolutely. In fact I have just started "A Universe From Nothing" by Lawrence Krauss. An interesting attempt at scientifically explaining the age old question of how this all came to be out of nothing.

Well then... how about adding a copy of "A Far, Far Better Thing" to your library?