Sign in to follow this  
Admin

New Embedded Video

Gentlemen:

I'm excited to be able to feature embedded video in the forums. All you have to do is put the URL for the video and the video is parsed into the forum.

Like this...

As soon as the pitcher came down off the mound, he should have been gone. As for the coach, that's borderline, depending on what the words were that were exchanged - he could be seen as "protecting" his pitcher since the P/U basically charged the mound and hounded the pitcher.

No way he should have allowed himself into an argument with a high school kid, especially when the kid turned his back and left the argument. Even if started by a player or coach, anytime that an umpire follows the other, the ump is then seen as stalking and instigating... I think the only true professional on the field was the F/U who came in to pull his partner out of a bad situation.

I made the mistake of letting a coach come running down from the 3B box yelling that his runner should have been safe (it was the 3rd out and the kid was easily out by 2 strides). It was a travel ball tournament right after we'd finished all the pre-season clinics and the emphasis to "keep 'em in the game." I was so shocked I just stared at the guy. There was no chest-bumping or anything else, but about 5 minutes later I realized that I should have run him. During plate meetings, I've always made the point about keeping discussions calm when there's a question/dispute on a call, but I made a mental note afterwards that if another coach (especially an assistant) ever approached me like that, he'd get the mechanic and my advice not to even break stride as he heads to the gate.

Short answer: I would have had a two-fer on that one.

pkv

I could not agree more with the idea that F1 should have been tossed... automatic! Then the manager would have gone if he was protesting balls and strikes. My guess is that he was protecting his F1, from himself (iow, he engaged PU in order to disengage F1).