quick question

James Walker
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4380 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

So.... How many times have you called a strike belt high over the black and have the batter complain. And then the next pitch, balls two feet over his head and he swings. I would, just once, like to say hey batter, that's a ball...

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

So.... How many times have you called a strike belt high over the black and have the batter complain. And then the next pitch, balls two feet over his head and he swings. I would, just once, like to say hey batter, that's a ball...

All the time. Those are my little moments of humor while working the plate.

Thurs, had the plate for a 11U game. Generally smooth as silk, bit of a generous zone but no complaints, kids adjusted and were swinging. 2-2 count, pitch comes in mid thigh height but just a bit outside. Neither young catcher was setting up or framing anything very well all game, so really couldn't use that as a guide much. I call it a ball but I admit, I had to think about that one.

Next pitch, a little more inside but low and I ring him up for strike 3. Might have been a tad low, but these hitters' knees are about 5 inches off the ground, it wasn't obnoxious. In the off team's dugout, an assistant coach bellyaches a little...."Come on, blue, that wasn't a strike. The pitch before might have been, but that wasn't".

I couldn't help myself - I softly said to just me and the catcher that I guess everything works out in the end then!

When the catchers are bad, there's not much help for us but we have to keep searching for strikes.

My home team F2 yesterday was set up so far back that curve balls that came in above the letters were dropping into the sweet spot by the F2 caught the ball and he kept wonder where those pitches were missing. The best F2's will try to stick that breaking at the tip of the plate to give us a really good look at it.

If I ever get back into coaching, I will spend the majority of my time with my F2's. It just makes so much sense to have a quality F2 to get your pitcher as many strikes as possible.