Jump to content
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 5976 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Recommended Posts

Posted

Weather permitting, I'm calling a 9/10 yr. old game tonight where the visiting coach will be less than enthused to see me. Due to the potential for problems tonight (supposedly this coach has already threatened to forfeit any game where he shows up and I'm calling the game), I'm considering telling the HT's HC that I'll work the game solo rather than have the usual parent BU. Then again, I have to admit that having an extra set of eyes on the field is great to help for runners leaving early and close plays at second. Thoughts and opinions?

  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted

If the coach has already got it out for you, then you probably ought to have some help on the bases. Just make sure that parent/umpire knows that this is your field, and with that you're in charge. I do solo for softball, and I always find it much easier whenever I am fortunate enough to have a partner. It takes some of the pressure off when some of the plays can get extremely close.

Posted

If using a parent BU is the norm, then stick to it. If he has a problem with you, he is going to whether there is another on the field or not. Stick with it b/c it makes part of the game easier for you. You have to think about what is easier for you and how a BU will help you out.

Who cares what his issues are? I'd be hoping for the forfeit. And, don't feel bad about it if it happens. He did it, not you. Let him explain why HE took the game away from the kids and their parents. That is not your fault.

Take a BU. It makes your life easier.

Posted

Stick with the HELP.

If he decides to forfeit. Easy Money! Not your fault.

Posted

Nothing yet. Weather.com said it wasn't supposed to rain around here until 5 p.m.

Thanks guys. I'll take the BU and, like Mr. Umpire said, if he forfeits, I'll let him explain to the kids and their parents why he felt it was necessary. That said, I think he's just bluffing and would almost put money on the fact he'll play. How dumb would he look by making a bunch of parents drive 20 minutes only to forfeit because of the umpire?

Posted

Left the factory a while ago to go get a shirt from the future misses, and the clouds looked hella bad over here. It was one of those days where you can't tell where the smoke from the factories end and the clouds begin.

Posted

Yuck, well there is nothing on the weather forecast now until 9 pm at the earliest (weather.com won't show 9 pm for some reason, but just before it disappeared it was supposed to start raining then.) There's nothing on the radar anywhere across the south half of the state, and the sun is kinda-sorta out here, so I think we're okay for ballgames tonight.

Posted

Weather permitting, I'm calling a 9/10 yr. old game tonight where the visiting coach will be less than enthused to see me. Due to the potential for problems tonight (supposedly this coach has already threatened to forfeit any game where he shows up and I'm calling the game), I'm considering telling the HT's HC that I'll work the game solo rather than have the usual parent BU. Then again, I have to admit that having an extra set of eyes on the field is great to help for runners leaving early and close plays at second. Thoughts and opinions?

Are you paid or volunteer?

If paid then I would not want a parent as BU. Not because of the extra FEE but mostly because of insurance issues. If you are a paid official and part of an umpire organization then your insurance covers you as long as you work with another official in your group or another certified official.

Also IMO, we need to know the "history" behind you and the VC.

In other words, have you tossed this coach and wrote up a report. At the 9/10 yr. old level you cannot have coaches saying they do not want so and so. They should be lucky they have officials to begin with.

Sounds like the BOD of this league needs to calm down this VC or tell him his services are no longer required.

In summary: I would NOT use a parent out of the stands as that can do more harm then good. Suppose the parent has No clue on what they are doing. In addition to your responsibilities you now have to "cover the parent"

here is a bit of advice for you and you can take it or leave it

STAY AWAY from 9/10 yr. old baseball.

Pete Booth

Posted

I am paid, but staying away from the 9/10 yr. old divisions is not an option to me. They made up almost a third of my games last year. I agree that having parents could potentially be more harm than help, as it seems any bad call they make is the same as you making it. However, a volunteer BU is the norm in this league, and declining a BU would probably be percieved as arrogance on my part.

The history between me and the VC: Well, we've had some games and plays that I'm sure he isn't happy with. I've never ejected him to my knowledge (I say that because I had an ej last year that I don't even remember who the coach was, but I don't think he coaches on that team). However, any time he has a question he goes about asking it the right way.

Posted

I am paid, but staying away from the 9/10 yr. old divisions is not an option to me. They made up almost a third of my games last year. However, a volunteer BU is the norm in this league, and declining a BU would probably be percieved as arrogance on my part.

It sounds like you free-lance meaning you are NOT part of an umpire association because if you were the association would NOT want a volunteer parent doing the bases and this would be SPELLED out.

Suggestion: Get HS certified and join an umpire organization. Then you will have more options open to you instead of 9/10's which can be brutal.

Pete Booth

Posted

Actually I am HS certified and part of an association*. The organizations around here don't work like what other parts of the country have. There are a few schools that have our assn. get umpires for their games. The vast majority of schools get their own umpires, as do the youth leagues. So in a way we all freelance, but the association is used for schools to get umpires when they need a spot filled, or for other umpires to go when they need a game covered. Also, sometimes an umpire may be the UIC of a tournament and will schedule other guys from the association to work in it.

*In the past I've said I wasn't in an association because I used to not be. I just joined up this year with one in our area to try and get more HS games.

Posted

Actually I am HS certified and part of an association*.

Does your insurance cover you when you work with a parent out of the stands?

I have supplemental insurance coverage but my HS coverage only covers me if I work with another certified official that's the MAIN reason we do not accept parents out of the stands.

Pete Booth

Posted

Actually I am HS certified and part of an association*. The organizations around here don't work like what other parts of the country have. There are a few schools that have our assn. get umpires for their games.

You're only a few hours away, but the way it's run here is world's different. Our organization deals with all but 3 high schools on the MO side of the St. Louis area. Two of the other three use another organization, and the 3rd contracts their own.

Posted

I would have to get a copy of the fine print to see if any of that is mentioned. Why would it be? (just asking to understand
).

Do not know about your specific area, but in my area to keep your certification we MUST attend 5 meetings and pass Part I and Part II of the FED test.

In other words one MUST be FED certified to umpire a HS game.

The reason that it could make a difference is because parents do not know the rules and therefore more risk for injury but as mentioned you would have to read the policy to see what it says.

Here is an example:

Say one kid gets blood on his uniform and the parent who does not know the rules says nothing.

In FED they have a blood rule meaning the shirt / pants MUST be removed.

Then there is bat / helmet restrictions - Again the parent has no clue.

Pete Booth

Posted

In MO all you have to do is pass part 1 & 2 of the fed test, and then attend 1 rules update meeting for MSHSAA to feel all soft and cuddly inside. Mo, are you talking about for summer ball?

Posted

In MO all you have to do is pass part 1 & 2 of the fed test, and then attend 1 rules update meeting for MSHSAA to feel all soft and cuddly inside. Mo, are you talking about for summer ball?

Not to mention that Part 2 is sent out as the season begins, and returned mid-season. Essentially, you only have to pass Part 1 and attend the rules meeting to be an umpire for your first year.

Posted

Not to mention that Part 2 is sent out as the season begins, and returned mid-season. Essentially, you only have to pass Part 1 and attend the rules meeting to be an umpire for your first year.

Yeah, I do enjoy that 5 day period of time they give you to complete the exam and send it back to them. It's perfectly ample time to comlete the exam with a busy working man's schedule. :wave:

Posted

Heck, a Fed test is only 15 or 20 minutes to take. I can stretch it to 30 to 45 minutes if I watch TV while I take it. I always take it at home before I give it to the group to see what the problem questions are.

Posted

In MO all you have to do is pass part 1 & 2 of the fed test, and then attend 1 rules update meeting for MSHSAA to feel all soft and cuddly inside. Mo, are you talking about for summer ball?
Yes. It turned out I worked with the league UIC on bases so it didn't matter.

Pete,

We have to be HS certified to work HS games, but you don't have to be certified anything for summer ball. This is starting to change though. Pretty soon even the high school kids will have to get certified to call any summer games.

Posted

Yeah, I do enjoy that 5 day period of time they give you to complete the exam and send it back to them. It's perfectly ample time to comlete the exam with a busy working man's schedule. :shrug:

5 days? I received mine around March 24, and they have to be postmarked by April 14.

Posted

Yeah but St. Louis is the mail room mecca of Missouri

I can't imagine it takes mail two weeks to get from St. Louis to any part of Missouri. We stopped using ponies decades ago. :censored:


×
×
  • Create New...