Ejection worthy?

Thunderheads
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4667 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, the problem is 2 things.

1) It may appear he is to others. Perception is reality. I may give a warning if I saw the entire thing and thought there may have been a chance it was not about me. But, I might side on the EJ to prevent others from getting worse with it. I have seen a player throw his bat very hard and hit the fence about 20 feet off the ground which I promptly EJ him for it b/c it was about my call. No one else thought they could do it for the rest of the game.

2) PU only caught the toss of the bat when it was up in the air. He didn't see the entire action from heading to 1B and then tossing the bat. If he had seen the entire thing, it may have gotten a different result. I don't know. But,even if he did and still tossed for it, again, perception is reality. If it looks like one can get away with it, why can't someone else try it? Anyone who catches part of it and sees the bat in the air and PU doesn't EJ him, they are going to think they can do the same thing without realizing it was part of a potential Ball 4 reaction.

To prevent further and possible worse issues, I say good EJ. Also, if the he doesn't EJ the batter, someone on Detroit may try it. And, if they get EJ'd, Leyland will be all over them saying "Their player did the same thing and you didn't EJ them". It is better to avoid any later issues and send a message that it won't be tolerated than to wait and see if anyone else tries something.

The players are out of control anymore. What's with all this bat throwing and slamming these days. There was always a little of it in MLB but nowdays it seems like anytime they pop a ball up or whiff they sling thier bat somewhere and it's justified because " they are just mad at themselves". Then after the toss the guy slings his helmet towards the umpire........out of control. MLB needs to rein this in before it gets worse, someone will toss a bat over the barrier one day and hit a fan.

The players are out of control anymore. What's with all this bat throwing and slamming these days. There was always a little of it in MLB but nowdays it seems like anytime they pop a ball up or whiff they sling thier bat somewhere and it's justified because " they are just mad at themselves". Then after the toss the guy slings his helmet towards the umpire........out of control. MLB needs to rein this in before it gets worse, someone will toss a bat over the barrier one day and hit a fan.

Forget that! broadcast announcers are OUT OF CONTROL with all of their ump slamming this season, blatant or subdued.

1. "I can see were he thought that was a ball". Really cause I am pretty sure that I just watched a pitch that crossed at the knees in the front of the zone.