Cha-ching

Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 5569 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I had a rare Saturday off this past weekend, or so I thought. My wife and I were out getting some work done on our car, and running some errands. Not 5 minutes after we got home, the phone rings and it's the local Legion team president in a panic, telling me they have a doubleheader and no officials showed up. They asked if I could come out and work it for them, so I did, wanting to help out.

I get there, and a golf cart gets sent out to the parking lot to bring me to the field, which was nice, and something that should be implemented at every venue!

I get out onto the field to an introduction and everyone in the stands gets up and gives me a standing 'O' I turned around, smiled, and said "Wow, this is strange, I have never been applauded before, this is a first as an umpire! Everyone had a good laugh on that one.

The coaches told me due to time constraints, we would play 1 seven inning game and then have a 5 inning game in the night cap as the field has no lights. The first game was 9-4 score, but went quick, finishing in less than 2 hours and I hardly broke a sweat, even though I was working my 1-man mechanics. 2nd game finished in just about an hour, it was a 2-0 game with many half innings going for less than 10 pitches.

When I came off the field, the home team coach said he had a check for me and paid me for a 2 man crew, which I wasn't expecting at all. I figured 1.5 times, but that was it.

So, for 3 hours work, I made $200.00, and still had time to take the wife out bowling afterwards. Not too shabby, if you ask me!

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Were they still applauding after the game?:D:D

They actually did. The PA guy thanked me again at the conclusion of the second game, and I got another standing O. It was very nice of them, both sides were really gracious, and I was a little embarassed by all of the positive attention from both sides.

It is nice to hear that you were taken care of. Some coaches I have run across barely have a 'Hi, how are you?' before a game, much less pay you for a two man crew. Again, good for you!

Thanks, Kyle. The coach for the team that paid me is a real stand up guy. He has always supported me and jumped on his players when I am right, and never hesitates to let me know when I've missed a call, but forgets all about it by the next pitch is thrown. I told him after the DH that I thought I was a little off, because I didn't have time to get my game face on, and he told told me if that wasn't my best, then he would take me anytime, because he thought I did a great job. It was a feel good story all around, and one of the times I will remember for a long time.

A Dh and enough energy to go bowling??? "C'mon, Blue move your feet, you're killing the grass!!" Just kidding. Sometimes, JUST SOMETIMES, doing the right thing pays dividends. May you have many more.

Dude, you know the only reason to go bowling is for the beer! I don't know why, but I have been bitten by the bowling bug lately. I have hated it my whole life but somehow I am starting to really like it. I never bowled over 100 until a couple weeks ago when I rolled a 105 and a 113. Now I have a 142 and 144 added to my resume, the 144 coming after that 1-man DH.

• 6 months later...

That unexpected money is always nice, especially when you bust your butt to make the game in the first place. And sometimes it's almost forced on you.

My partner and I show up for an evening Legion game several years ago in Maryland. It's been drizzling on and off all day, and the sky is still gray and angry. We know this site is not the best in the county, so we are expecting a rain out call, but no. So we show up and the field is horrible! The plate area is sticky and soft, the base paths are terrible, and around the bases there is almost standing water! There is more rain forecast, so as we get to the plate conference I ask the home team manager if he would not prefer to call this one and reschedule. My partner and I will call it a night, and no pay necessary. You see, this league paid on the field BEFORE the game.

But he is insistent we can play, so I tell him (as tiny raindrops begin to fall on my face) that once we start the game is in our hands, and all decisions will be final. Well, the visiting team is pretty bad, and he sees an opportunity for an easy "W" in the books that will help him in the standings, so he agrees and still insists we play. As his pitcher is waming up the drizzle continues, and once more I give him an out, going to him and asking again if he doesn't want to just reschedule, and offering to give him back the fees! Nope, we're gonna play.

As I begin play the rain gets a bit harder. During the top of the first inning his pitcher slips with his plant foot, throws one somewhere over the backstop, and I just rolled my eyes at the home team manager and said, "Ball." First batter rolls out to second on a weak grounder that has a rooster tail behind it. Next batter strikes out because he can't get his footing and misses strike three by a mile. Third batter pops one up in the infield and the shortstop almost dropped it because of the rain in his face, but we have 3 outs.

First home team hitter takes about 2 minutes trying to get his footing, but he can't because the rain is now coming down harder, showing no sign of letting up. The pitcher delivers a fastball up and in, and the batter slips trying to avoid the ball, which misses his nose by inches. I raised my hands and called time, then informed the benches we are calling the game due to unplayable conditions. End of game.

And as my partner and I are leaving the field the home team manager comes up to me, and I'm ready for his load of crap. But he doesn't argue. He just asks, "Do we get a refund on the fees?" Yea, idiot, sure you do!