Jump to content
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 5560 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Recommended Posts

Posted

I am seeing new guys coming here and a couple of other boards I moderate. Many are not only new to the board but new to officiatng in general. One thing I have always stressed to new guys is study and understand rule 2.00. It is the basis of everything else in the book and without knowing the definitions you can't understand the other seven playing rules you need to know.

  • Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted

Come on, Mike. A post about learning rules without your 80/20 line? I'm disappointed! :no:

Posted

I did use it in a discussion with a coach the other day. He is umpiring a little on the side and he was amazed on what we know and how difficult it is to umpire. Then I told him if he watched me or one of my guys work, the BU does a ton more than he is. Most LL crews let the PU cover third in all cases. Total crap but that is what they do.

  • 1 month later...
Posted

Okay, Mike...

I'm relatively new here. What's the 80/20 line???

Posted

Okay, Mike...

I'm relatively new here. What's the 80/20 line???

80% of the plays deal with 20% of the rules.

But it's knowing the other 80% of the rules for the 20% of the plays that makes us stand out as good umpires...

Posted

Okay, Mike...

I'm relatively new here. What's the 80/20 line???

80% of the plays deal with 20% of the rules.

But it's knowing the other 80% of the rules for the 20% of the plays that makes us stand out as good umpires...

Yes. The holy grail i think is a balk, CI, INT and missed HP appeal all on the same play.

"Everyone shut the hell up! I got this."

Posted

When I coached I used to tell my players if they made all of the routine plays and half of the others we would win. If umpires worked to that standard they would run us out of town.

Posted

Yes. The holy grail i think is a balk, CI, INT and missed HP appeal all on the same play.

"Everyone shut the hell up! I got this."

Go with type b OBS instead of INT and we've got it even tougher.


×
×
  • Create New...