Rain/Darkness postponement rules for Minor/Majors

CougarUmp
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3602 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

New at this.  

Can anyone simplify the rules for what happens after a 6 inning game gets postponed due to rain or darkness when there has been enough innings to technically be called complete.

I get confused.   After 4th it's complete?   Home team must get last at bat if losing?   When does the score revert, if ever, to a prior inning score?? Etc,  

Thanks in advance.  

For the revert qiestion:

In OBR there is never a revert.

In LL the score only reverts if the visitors tied or went ahead in the top of an inning and home did not complete it's half of the inning. If this doesn't apply and the game is tied then the game is suspended and it is continued later.

If a 6-inning type  game went 4 (or 3 1/2 if home is ahead) and a winner can be determined the game is over.

I didn't know that -- I never realized that was a LL thing.  So does that mean that if teh VT comes from behind in the top of the 9th and the rain forces the game to "end" for the night, then it is no longer a complete game and they have to come back and finish it?

I didn't know that -- I never realized that was a LL thing.  So does that mean that if teh VT comes from behind in the top of the 9th and the rain forces the game to "end" for the night, then it is no longer a complete game and they have to come back and finish it?

4.12 SUSPENDED GAMES.

(a) A game shall become a suspended game that must be completed at a future date if

the game is terminated for any of the following reasons:

(5) Weather, if a regulation game is called while an inning is in progress and

before the inning is completed, and the visiting team has scored one or more

runs to take the lead, and the home team has not retaken the lead;

(6) It is a regulation game that is called with the score tied.

• Like 1

In MLB (*true* OBR), they have access to good radar, have great fields and grounds crew guys with doctorate degrees in grass half the time. It is extremely rare they will start an inning they didn't think they can end, so there is rarely a suspended game after it goes the required innings.

Everywhere else that I have worked that uses OBR rules has some modification to the rule to have a revert.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

In MLB (*true* OBR), they have access to good radar, have great fields and grounds crew guys with doctorate degrees in grass half the time. It is extremely rare they will start an inning they didn't think they can end, so there is rarely a suspended game after it goes the required innings.

Everywhere else that I have worked that uses OBR rules has some modification to the rule to have a revert.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

What?

For the revert qiestion:

In LL the score only reverts if the visitors tied or went ahead in the top of an inning and home did not complete it's half of the inning. If this doesn't apply and the game is tied then the game is suspended and it is continued later.

If a 6-inning type  game went 4 (or 3 1/2 if home is ahead) and a winner can be determined the game is over.

And LL does not allow reversion in the tournament. 

Some have stated that OBR never provides for reverting back. While this was they case prior to last year, it has recently changed. For years and years we would have to push back on the common misconception that games would ever revert back to the score of the previous inning, and now have to argue the exact opposite. You can email me at admin@umpireschool.com for a copy of our newly updated Regulation/Suspended Game Flowchart. It has been revised and edited for clarity and style. Email me at admin@umpireschool.com for a PDF copy. I think it is probably too big of a file to post here. This will be posted in professional locker rooms all over the country. You can find a comprehensive explanation of the change and two loopholes that were created as a result. Additionally, you can find an interactive electronic version at www.obr412.com. Not sure if we're allowed to post this product promotion any longer, but would like to make it available to help in anyway we can.

Some have stated that OBR never provides for reverting back. While this was they case prior to last year, it has recently changed. For years and years we would have to push back on the common misconception that games would ever revert back to the score of the previous inning, and now have to argue the exact opposite. You can email me at admin@umpireschool.com for a copy of our newly updated Regulation/Suspended Game Flowchart. It has been revised and edited for clarity and style. Email me at admin@umpireschool.com for a PDF copy. I think it is probably too big of a file to post here. This will be posted in professional locker rooms all over the country. You can find a comprehensive explanation of the change and two loopholes that were created as a result. Additionally, you can find an interactive electronic version at www.obr412.com. Not sure if we're allowed to post this product promotion any longer, but would like to make it available to help in anyway we can.

I'm confused.  The rule I posted was from the 2014 rule book. 

I'm confused.  The rule I posted was from the 2014 rule book. 

You needed to keep reading the rest of 4.12. They added the possibility of reversion I think in the National Association leagues in the 2013 rules. You might remain confused as I am and probably would need the flowchart mentioned.

The change was for all leagues using OBR and only deals with teams playing for the last time. What I meant to say in the previous post is that if you are looking for the two loopholes created and a detailed explanation of the rule (along with several other changes), you can purchase the revised Wendelstedt Rules and Interpretations Manual at www.umpireschool.com. If you'd like a copy of the updated Flowchart for Regulation/Suspended Game, I would be happy to send you a complimentary one if you request at admin@umpireschool.com. I've also tried to attach it to this post.

reg_susp_color.pdf