3-Man steal of second

MCump
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3929 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

3-man crew, R1R3. 18-25 league championship, mostly old high school players who wanted something to do during the summer, not the highest quality baseball.

I'm U3 in standard C, R1 stealing on the pitch throw comes all the way through to SS but well to the first base side of the bag.  R1 didn't slide and SS gave a half hearted swipe tag and R1's reaction when he got to the base made it look like he thought he hadn't been tagged.  I called him safe but didn't sell it well enough.

I was completely straightlined on the tag attempt, stuck trying to look through the SS's right shoulder.  I haven't done much 3 man so I rarely take a steal from C, but I was wondering what I can do/ where I can go to get a better look at that.  I rotated with the ball and took a step or 2 closer to the line to get a good angle on the slide which never happened.

P.S. thanks to everyone for all the 3 man advice over the years, being able to go through some of the detailed posts before the game as a crew really helped us with our rotations and we all ended up where we were supposed to even if it didn't look as crisp as the pros.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

in "C" with R1 stealing, you take a stand up, drop step with your left foot, and take about 1-2 steps toward 2nd, still keeping your chest ( it will be more like a shoulder) towards the ball ( in case the catcher throws toward 3rd) once the ball passes you turn toward 2nd and make the call... yes it is a tough call and sometimes hard to see.. but it is what it is.

but I was wondering what I can do/ where I can go to get a better look at that.

You can start in B.  lol. (unless theres a LH batter and check swing appeals go to the middle)

Then, the throw off to the side will not let you get straightlined because you then will get hit with the ball.

You can start in B.  lol. (unless theres a LH batter and check swing appeals go to the middle)

Then, the throw off to the side will not let you get straightlined because you then will get hit with the ball.

You are in C with R1/R3 in 3-man. If you are in B it would have to be Deep B, and your look at pickoffs at third would be awful.

You are in C with R1/R3 in 3-man. If you are in B it would have to be Deep B, and your look at pickoffs at third would be awful.

I agree that C is right for R1/R3 but the play to which I was responding only said R1.

Noumpere i just saw where it said R1 stealing.. ok..

you start in Deep "B"..you can use "C" but "B" is much, much better. and this is easy stay down, hands on knee's until the ball turns you, and blame your in a great spot for a look.

Wish I had said that.. oh wait/....