Jump to content
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4896 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Recommended Posts

Posted

LL, 7/8U - My problem is games inevitably start 5-7 minutes late (not just me, seems to be league wide). 

 

Weekday games start at 5:30.  Dads/coaches show up 4:50-5:00.  Field prep IMO is slow.  Despite my polite urging, teams are lagging to get on the dirt for infield, and unless I am right there they take too long. 

 

I'm working solo, usually at 5:00 or few minutes after I touch base with VT manager for equipment inspection, then same with HT manager.  Then I encourage the field prep guy (usually a coach) and ask him to let the VT know to take infield as soon as he is done.  I go to the truck to get into plate gear.  Even though I asked VT to take 5 minute infield and HT to hustle on immediately after, when I get back from the parking lot it seems that we are behind schedule.

 

I learned a lesson last game: coaches knew we were behind so they insisted that we have the plate meeting while HT was finishing infield (to my shame I agreed) and despite trying to stay out of harms way, one of the coaches got hit by a ball (not injured, thankfully).

 

Any advice to speed up field prep and infield?  Do you have HT back in the dugout for the plate meeting?  Help is appreciated!  <><

 

 

Posted

LL, 7/8U - My problem is games inevitably start 5-7 minutes late (not just me, seems to be league wide). 

 

Weekday games start at 5:30.  Dads/coaches show up 4:50-5:00.  Field prep IMO is slow.  Despite my polite urging, teams are lagging to get on the dirt for infield, and unless I am right there they take too long. 

 

I'm working solo, usually at 5:00 or few minutes after I touch base with VT manager for equipment inspection, then same with HT manager.  Then I encourage the field prep guy (usually a coach) and ask him to let the VT know to take infield as soon as he is done.  I go to the truck to get into plate gear.  Even though I asked VT to take 5 minute infield and HT to hustle on immediately after, when I get back from the parking lot it seems that we are behind schedule.

 

I learned a lesson last game: coaches knew we were behind so they insisted that we have the plate meeting while HT was finishing infield (to my shame I agreed) and despite trying to stay out of harms way, one of the coaches got hit by a ball (not injured, thankfully).

 

Any advice to speed up field prep and infield?  Do you have HT back in the dugout for the plate meeting?  Help is appreciated!  <><

 

As the UIC for my local little league, I tell my Umpires and the Managers that games will not start late because of warmups etc.  The only excuse I accept is the 7:30 game running late because of the early game.

 

My umpires are instructed to call the managers to the plate at 5 minutes before the scheduled start time.  If they delay, I'm starting the clock.  The Division Director is responsible to address these types of issues with the managers.

Posted

I have a hard and fast rule. The teams say the LL Pledge along 1st and 3rd base line at 5 minutes before game. Then immediatley after that, Visiting team takes field, and we are withing starting time.

If they have no lines down, and it's within 10 minutes of start time, tell them you are working with no lines. 

 

Take control and tell them what you want them to do.

Posted

Show up on field dressed and ready to go at 5:15 (or earlier if need be).  Do your equipment inspections while also letting the grounds guy know you are starting on time.  Have plate meeting/LL Pledge at 5:25, home team takes field immediately after that and start at 5:30.

 

It sounds like you are doing too much encouraging and not enough management.  Once you leave the field to go get dressed you lose control of the field.  Show up on the field dressed and do not leave prior to the scheduled start.

  • Like 1
Posted

Good advice, thank you.

 

Last season I was showing up from the house in protector/shin guards but the league UIC told me I "looked like I was going to a riot", even though I was wearing the gear properly under the official uniform, and that he didn't think it was professional to be in plate gear doing the equipment check.  I guess I should have been tipped off when he asked me why I was doing equipment checks to begin with!

 

Another time a board member was chatting through the fence with the grounds guy for more than a few minutes.  I said, good naturedly I thought, "Hey boss, you're holding up the field prep; it's gonna be my throat if the ball game doesn't start on time!"  Serious as a heart attack he says, "It's not your field unitl game time, don't worry about it!"

 

I see I need to take command regardless of what the league guys say, because ultimately it reflects on me when the ball game starts late.

 

Thanks.

Posted

Was your UIC an umpire?

Doesn’t sound like it.

You are working one man and you get barked at for showing up in gear?

Find another place to call.

Posted

Unfortunately it's my kid's league.  Effectively for us, the only game in town.

 

:ranton: UIC called games in jeans with a pillow.  Not an umpire, a rat coach that was part of the board clique.  Local rules like crazy.  No clarification, minimal support.  No good deed goes unpunished.  But I'm not bitter!  :hopmad:  :rantoff:

 

But more importantly, my kid likes that I'm actively involved in his favorite sport.  And now I've got the bug so I'm trying learn as much as possible and get experience so I can move up to higher quality ball.

Posted

They're creating their own problems with a 5:30 start. With people's work schedules it's pretty hard to get there and have decent prep time.

 

Then you're talking 7-8 year olds. Means new coaches that haven't learned a routine. Means kids that need a babysitter and can't do warm-ups on their own. Means even with a prepared game plan it will usually have to get changed because some player didn't show.  Or the person with the keys to the maintenance shed is late. I'd bet the majors coaches get ready on time.

 

And if you're part of the league and ready to go  -  pick up a rake or the marking machine. You're the one with free time on your hands at the moment.

Posted

Study hard on rules, go to a clinic, read great stuff on this forum and RUN HIS SORRY ASS OUT OF TOWN next year as the NEW UIC.

Do this for your son.

Posted

What Rich said is right on the money.  I understand that, but I want to get my part right.

 

Total LL is about 25 teams.

Posted

I disagree with Rich.

Lining fields and raking in uniform is lowering yourself.

You should be viewed as the authority figure.

If you start this they will expect you to do it from now on AND probably put in rule that MAKES you do it.

Sorry Rich

Posted

Right on Big.

 

I just about sleep with the rule book; I think I'm getting solid on rules.  Been to two clinics, trying to work out the week long regional school for next year.  Got Evans Maximizing the Two Umpire System and Papa Cs 151 ways to wreck a baseball game.  I'm on the schedule to league-up to challenge myself.  I'm trying to schedule a game with a district evaluator.  I would love to qualify to work with the district tournament guys during the summer after our local ball is over.

 

I would consider UIC, but I don't want to be the assignor...  but you never know...

 

Thanks gentlemen!

Posted

I didn't see that Rich advocated doing the field prep ourselves...  but maybe I missed it

Posted

I didn't see that Rich advocated doing the field prep ourselves...  but maybe I missed it

 

"And if you're part of the league and ready to go  -  pick up a rake or the marking machine. You're the one with free time on your hands at the moment."

Dont do this.

 

Posted

I disagree with Rich as well on field prep.  

 

To me, that's akin to umpiring with a coaches hat on. 

 

Trying to play too many roles in a league could get you in trouble.   Should the plate umpire also serve as Board Member on duty?   

Posted

Something has to give.   

 

Either you get the president involved to get the field ready on time, or someone else will get the president involved because you are starting games late or cutting games short.

  • Like 1
Posted

Run for UIC.

 

 

 

Take a picture of this moron calling in jeans and a pillow.

 

Have someone take a picture of you in full gear and uniform. 

 

 

 

Post them side by side on the park bulletin board.

 

 

 

Ask the question†Choose oneâ€

 

 

 

BTW post the picture of the moron on this forum.

 

OBTW I have been a league president of 600 kids AND a UIC.

 

 

 

 

 

Posted

How many of you coached your kids through the league?

 

 

I didn't see that Rich advocated doing the field prep ourselves...  but maybe I missed it

 

"And if you're part of the league and ready to go  -  pick up a rake or the marking machine. You're the one with free time on your hands at the moment."

Dont do this.

 

 

I bolded and underscored the part you forgot to bold or underscore. Read it again. The help bit doesn't apply to the hired help from the South Northville Umpires Association.

 

Coaches are going nuts trying to get the field and the team game ready. You're sitting watching. You are part of Hometown Youth League, not the hired gun. Who is it that has the time to fill in the last minute needs?

Posted

You keep showing up dressed, take charge and make the games the way you want them.

This is a big league you have. Believe me I have been there.

 

Baby steps, we have 5:30 games on Friday nights, with a 7:30 game to follow. But rest of the week it is 6:15, we have lights.

Go to the board meetings, offer a constructive opinion and take the UIC job and do it right.

 

Have some fun.

  • Like 1
Posted

How many of you coached your kids through the league?

 

 

I didn't see that Rich advocated doing the field prep ourselves...  but maybe I missed it

 

"And if you're part of the league and ready to go  -  pick up a rake or the marking machine. You're the one with free time on your hands at the moment."

Dont do this.

 

 

I bolded and underscored the part you forgot to bold or underscore. Read it again. The help bit doesn't apply to the hired help from the South Northville Umpires Association.

 

Coaches are going nuts trying to get the field and the team game ready. You're sitting watching. You are part of Hometown Youth League, not the hired gun. Who is it that has the time to fill in the last minute needs?

I have been known to get the machines out and do what needs to be done, especially with a wet field. I can hammer holes and throw dry dirt/Field Dry as well as anyone.

I also am not afraid to ask a dad sitting in the stand to pitch in.

×
×
  • Create New...