Do you verbalize "Infield Fly"?

KLAH316
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3975 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

It's too hard to go back after the fact and say it was an IFF.

it's not that tough and in fact you have rule support to do so. It would kind of suck to have to do, but to fix it really isn't that tough. Call the batter out and return the runners.

except for the out, it's no different than a close foul ball where guys are running. call it foul and the runners return.

It's certainly not great umpiring to not verbalize/call an infield fly, but it is pretty easy to fix.

Johnny, Why would you return the runners?

• Like 1

It's too hard to go back after the fact and say it was an IFF.

it's not that tough and in fact you have rule support to do so. It would kind of suck to have to do, but to fix it really isn't that tough. Call the batter out and return the runners.

except for the out, it's no different than a close foul ball where guys are running. call it foul and the runners return.

It's certainly not great umpiring to not verbalize/call an infield fly, but it is pretty easy to fix.

Johnny, Why would you return the runners?

I'll answer for Johnny, if that's alright. When umpires make or fail to make a call that distinctly puts one team or the other at a disadvantage, they should fix it if possible. I think I know where you're going with this, and for upper level baseball I agree that an IFF is an IFF whether it's called or not. But for 13U players, I'm with Johnny that this one would be better to fix. I think not doing so is picking up the poopy end of the stick.

Tim.

• Like 1